First image taken in RAW. C&C?

NebraskaNewGirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took my first decent image in RAW tonight and then completely edited it in Camera RAW. I am now obsessed with that program. But on a serious note. How is the exposure, WB, etc?

IMG_9950w.jpg

It's a bit dark, but I think you did well for the first time you have played in raw.
I have something for you... I'll send a note!

Thanks for the tutorial and also on the critique. I too was wondering if it was dark, but I wanted to keep the vibrance of the colors of the sunset.

Last edited:
Nice shot for an initial RAW shot (a wee on the dark side, but considering the time of day, admirable) . Cheers and keep it up!

It looks to be underexposed... (not just dark, mind you... underexposed... big difference) This appears to be not so much a function of your handling of the RAW file as it is the way your captured the image.

Look in my sig- there's a thread on night photography. It would help.

I'm making a point to not comment on the composition here, btw...

I like it very much, it is a little dark but great going. I use to shoot in the RAW but I am too old now and shy.:lmao:

It looks to be underexposed... (not just dark, mind you... underexposed... big difference) This appears to be not so much a function of your handling of the RAW file as it is the way your captured the image.

Look in my sig- there's a thread on night photography. It would help.

I'm making a point to not comment on the composition here, btw...

Thanks Manaheim. Glad to see I did at least a couple of those tips. :). But please comment on the composition. I want to learn.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tutorial and also on the critique. I too was wondering if it was dark, but I wanted to keep the vibrance of the colors of the sunset.
I have a TON of stuff like that. When I was teaching the school provided me with books upon books upon books on PDF like that. I own that one in a printed book too. It's EXTREMELY useful and you'll find yourself re-using over and over and over!

Not to fond of sky shots. Hard to get composition. Nothing against you. My grudge is with the sky.

I have a TON of stuff like that. When I was teaching the school provided me with books upon books upon books on PDF like that. I own that one in a printed book too. It's EXTREMELY useful and you'll find yourself re-using over and over and over!
That is fantastic. So, would you be willing to send me a new one every week? I would really appreciate it. :)

Keep me posted as to what you are working on and if I have something that will help you I'll send it!

Nice shot for an initial RAW shot (a wee on the dark side, but considering the time of day, admirable) . Cheers and keep it up!

Thanks. Here it is "a wee" bit more exposed. Improved?

IMG_9950aa.jpg

He might be talking about the dark area at the bottom of your photo. While there is a good amount of stuff there (cars, houses, trees), you don't have any detail as there probably wasn't any captured due to the settings you chose. If you had shot this with brighter exposure, you would have captured the detail, then could have brought everything back down in post processing to your liking.

Sunsets aren't really a good subject to test white balance on. They're too subjective.... open to interpretation. Try skin tones, or a truly white subject like a bride's dress.

Unfortunately on the composition there isn't much to say because there isn't much to it. There's no subject, there's not much to draw us in or hold the eye. It's mostly just a shot of the sky.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back