First Job don't know what to charge

pfx_photo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.behance.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am new to the forum and so far I think this place is great. I just got an email for my first paying job and I do not know what to charge so I was hoping some of you would have some suggestions. I would be one of 3 photographers for an outdoor wedding. Basically I would just be doing "extra" shots, random party shots, and some scenery shots as well. They like my photos more for the artistic style rather than traditional wedding stuff. So I will be doing that.

Any suggestions on what to charge? I do to want to do too much but I want to make it worth while.

Any help would be awesome.

Thank you/

- Are you required to travel? -- you may want to add travel costs into your amount

- How long will you be shooting for? -- what would you charge for 1 hour shooting x how long you would shoot for

- Are you doing prints, providing a high res CD, retouching,...? -- all things to factor in.

There is no one set price for any type of photography. I would not see what you are doing as involved as shooting the entire wedding, but it still is your time.

Do you have a flat rate you work with? As in, if someone wanted some headshots done, outdoors, no studio, how much would you charge for a 1 hour shoot + 2-3 images?

Start with the known amounts you would charge, bring it down to an hourly rate, then work up to how long you will be working at the wedding + extras

THanks for the quick responses.

The bride contacted me for this job. I believe she wants me to do more of the artsy pics as compared to traditional wedding ones.

And big thanks to bigtwinky - I did not think of that so now I have something to start with. I appreciate the help.

THanks for the quick responses.

The bride contacted me for this job. I believe she wants me to do more of the artsy pics as compared to traditional wedding ones.

And big thanks to bigtwinky - I did not think of that so now I have something to start with. I appreciate the help.

So here is the thing if the bride is hiring you. Does she have a contract with the primary photographer? what does it say about other hired photographers? Does the primary photographer know you will be there? is he/she ok with it?
Depending on how you answer the above questions this may be unprofessional on your behalf.

PFX, it would be wise to find out more details before making a commitment. If it's ok with everyone involved by all means go for it, have a great time and knock it out of the park. Oh yeah bigtwinky gave you some good starting points.
Let us know how it goes.

Most reactions

Back