first job nervous.

activatephoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello guys, i am a photographer that just booked their first ever job with someone. its for their prom night photos, and i am nervous that i am going to mess up and this is one of their biggest nights of their life so far. any information you guys can help me with, like what poses should i do, serious or natural just some normal photography tips, pretty good at it just nervous about doing it for someone else,

How much experience do you have working with a camera? Are you new to photography in general, or just to shooting professionally?

I'm always nervous when I try something new... "Am I as good as think I am?" Lucky, I usually am, lol. There's nothing wrong with being nervous - it's probably actually a good sign.

just new to shooting professionally, i have done jobs for family and what not, just never for someone else. thats what a lot of people have told me.. hoepfully i will post some pictures up after they are completed tonight

I get nervous sometimes...natural. Look on line for inspiration. Most teenagers love to pose. Every teenage girl I have photographed already knew how to pose with a little prompting. Have fun:)

Just pose them like this:
$prom-night-1985-no-info.jpg

And light it like this:
$Studio-lighting-1.jpg

Being nervous on your first job (or first hundred jobs for that matter) is fine. Not having a plan isn't fine! How much time do you have before the event? In no particular order: Scout the venue, determine what the lighting is like and what gear you will need. Talk to an organizer/teacher/supervisor and ask what's been done in the past. Ask what people liked and what they didn't like. Research pose options and have some options printed out so that when the students have no idea how they should pose, you can show them ideas. Each person/couple is going to be different, so you can either 'cookie-cutter' the event where eveyone gets exactly the same thing (quick, easy, maximizes profit) or you can take 30 seconds and talk to each person/couple and get an idea of what they'd like (takes longer, requires moving lights, etc, but will provide a higher degree of satisfaction to you and the clients).

Research basic posing; know what consitutes a masculine and a feminine pose, read up on how to flatter larger people (both genders) as well as what to do when the inevitable 6'3" jock shows up with the 4' 10" cheerleader.

Are you the Prom photographer?

When I taught high school, the photographer posed them in one shoot and let them pose like they wanted in the second. Only two poses. They had to buy another packet to have more poses. Some students would buy a packet to pose with friends. Be prepared for that and how to pose opposite and same sex couples.

You can arrange for someone at the school volunteer to help you with the students names.

Are you the Prom photographer?

When I taught high school, the photographer posed them in one shoot and let them pose like they wanted in the second. Only two poses. They had to buy another packet to have more poses. Some students would buy a packet to pose with friends. Be prepared for that and how to pose opposite and same sex couples.

You can arrange for someone at the school volunteer to help you with the students names.

I think it's just one couple who want a photoshoot before prom. Usually at a separate location. It's all the rage now!

It's good to be nervous. Keeps you on your toes, and makes you WANT to be the best you can be.

After having a look at the flickr link in your sig, it doesn't offer much in the way of people shots. . . some moto x shots, with everyone in the same position, so we can only assume that you know what you are getting into.

You say in your second post, "that's what a lot of people have told you", but with no context. . .what have a lot of people told you?

Taking into account the suggestions offered already, if you have the skills and camera knowledge to get what you are looking for, go in with confidence and pose them to make the shot YOU think will be best. Use the people as tools. try to get them into what your minds eye see as best for the situation.

Most reactions

Back