First Lighting Set Up

Speedtrap mentions a couple of key points. Right now I would get just one strobe light, an 8' light stand, 2 umbrellas (45" and 60"), and a 5-in-1 reflector.

What modifiers will work on what lights. The Flashpoint lights Blake mentioned will accept one brand of modifiers while Genesis lights Calumet Genesis 200 2-Light Kit will accept a different brand of modifiers (compatible with Elinchrom Speedrings) .

Alien Bee's have some color drift when the power levels are adjusted, and backwards from most strobes, the flash duration gets longer at lower power settings. However, many use them because the price is attractive and Paul C. Buff's customer service is very good..

http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/product/calumet_genesis_200/cf0502

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/356270-REG/Westcott_9908_Lightweight_Black_Light_Stand.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/501164-REG/Westcott_2011_43_White_Umbrella_Collapsible.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/197057-REG/Westcott_2021_Umbrella_White_Satin.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/358608-REG/Impact_R1142_5_in_1_Reflector_Disc.html

Last edited:

This is *exactly* what I have been recommending to people looking for entry-level,affordable lighting. The right power level, the right stand height, the right sized umbrella, the right price, AND the ability to be powered by a 15.5 ounce DC battery, as well as 110-120 volt AC wall current natively. You need one "main light", and then you need a BIG reflector, something as large as a household door, or larger. I would buy the exact setup Blake is suggesting, and either use a PC synch cord to my camera or an inexpensive triggering system.

This is *exactly* what I have been recommending to people looking for entry-level,affordable lighting. The right power level, the right stand height, the right sized umbrella, the right price, AND the ability to be powered by a 15.5 ounce DC battery, as well as 110-120 volt AC wall current natively. You need one "main light", and then you need a BIG reflector, something as large as a household door, or larger. I would buy the exact setup Blake is suggesting, and either use a PC synch cord to my camera or an inexpensive triggering system.

Thank you Blake and Derrel. So this would be the "main light", then for the reflector would something like a white sheet work? Can anyone lead me to a triggering system that would work with my Canon Rebel XS? Thank you guys for the help! I can't wait to order them and practice, practice, practice.

Yes, a white sheet will work. So will Foam-Cor boards (ie. poster board) in multiples, glued or taped to something like this $19 wheeled tubular steel laundry rack from WalMart Walmart.com: Whitmor Deluxe Adjustable Garment Rack, Chrome/Black: Storage & Organization

The professional lighting industry for decades has used things called "rolling flats", which are basically, wheeled 2x4 or 2x6 wooden bases, and then door-sized or slightly larger flat slabs of drywall or white-painted wood on top...this laundry rack is lighter, cheaper, and safer. It can be used as a rolling base for a PVC pipe frame covered with fabric, or to hold as many as eight sheets of poster board. I am not very familiar with inexpensive triggering systems...I have 4 Pocket Wizards and a much,much older RMI Radio Transmitter system, and so I have never been in the market for cheap triggers, which only began to proliferate after I had long since become equipped with remote triggering systems...I dunno what the best cheap triggers are, but the old-school PC connector cord does work. I know there are a number of low-cost ($40 or less) wireless triggering systems that work. Your Rebel does NOT have a PC outlet, right? So you need some kind of hot-shot mounted PC Outlet device, very affordable, from flashzebra.com, or other vendors. Nikon's AS-15 is also the same thing, and DOES WORK on Canons (I know, I have used it on Nikon and Canons!)

I have been quite happy with my cactus triggers, Gadget Infinity, I have the v5's but I have good things about the v4's as well. No e-ttl metering, but I don't think it is needed especially if you are planning on doing studio work.

Thank you everyone, keep in mind I have NO IDEA what I am doing as far as flash photography. This will be a whole new learning curve.

So if I purchase the above umbrella set up, should I also purchase a speedlight for my on camera flash or is an on camera flash not necessary with other lighting? I know you want a main and a fill light but is a direct or bounced on camera flash necessary too? If so would something like this be a good purchase ?

TT520 Flash Speedlite for Canon Rebel T2i T1i XTi Xsi | eBay

So I will need to buy a trigger such as this Wireless Remote Flash Trigger For Canon 30/33/50/Rebel | eBay

And a hot shoe to plug the trigger into?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd suggest getting a few flashes to use off camera synced with pw's or something. You can get Lp160 flashes for around $150 and they're just as powerful as the SB900s. You can also get really affordable stands and light modifiers.

Here are examples of what I do with the suggested equipment. A free Saturday night| A shoot at an abandoned mill

Also, check out Strobist.com if yo haven't already.

Good luck!

The lights that made these shots cost a lot less than those, and they are proper studio lights but old that i bought years ago and have never let me down, the only continuos lights i would buy would cost you about $2000

1221199252_3XEPP-L.jpg

1192076096_iKaiW-L.jpg

1235138845_VioXF-L.jpg

These are amazing photos!!!! What light equipment exactly did you use? :)

The lights that made these shots cost a lot less than those, and they are proper studio lights but old that i bought years ago and have never let me down, the only continuos lights i would buy would cost you about $2000

1221199252_3XEPP-L.jpg

1192076096_iKaiW-L.jpg

1235138845_VioXF-L.jpg

These are amazing photos!!!! What light equipment exactly did you use? :)

Nothing special, 2 very old Courtney flashes

if youre referring to M2's last post in 2011, look at the last photo in the link.

Most reactions

Back