First Lighting setup

SunnyHours

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I did a quick search and nothing came up...but I'm looking for a "Portable" diffuser. However I'm not sure what would be best? I'd like to start taking portraits (not professionally), and I do have a SB-600 however, I don't want harsh shadows.
So umbrella? Softbox? What's the most useful and easy to carry? Also I'll need a light support, I'm guessing it's worth investing in one of these and also the flash bracket.
Thanks a lot!
Fred.

Check out 5-in-1 reflectors. One of the 5 is a diffuser. I recommend you get a rectangular version. ePhoto Photography Studio Photo & Video Light 5 in 1 Collapsible Multi Photography Oval Disc Reflector 40" x 60 5in1 40x60

Umbrellas are quite a bit less expensive than equivelent sized softboxes, easier to set up, but don't control the light quite as well, but good enough initially.

I routinely recommend this kit to get started using off camera, hot shoe flash - Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit

You also need a way to trigger the hot shoe flash units. Your D7000 has Nikon's Creative Lighting System (CLS) and Commander mode which uses a camera to flash, infrared (IR) communication sysytem. Unfortunately, IR is often limited to line-of-sight (LOS) and has limited range. In direct sunlight the range is reduced even more because the sun emits more IR than the camera does.

So a lot of people use radio triggers because they are not limited to LOS, have substantially more range, and are unaffected by sunlight. As always there are trade offs.
With radio triggering the trade offs are:

Inexpensive radio triggers cannot communicate with the camera, so camera and flash unit have to used in manual modes.
Radio triggers that can communicate with the camera so TTL flash control (Through-The-Lens) can be used, are not inexpensive.

However, doing TTL flash is much more complex, difficult to learn, and still produces inconsistant results because the camera is just a stupid machine that has no clue what it is you actually want to do artistically.

So I recommend you start with a second, inexpensive, mostly manual flash unit Vivitar 285HV Auto Professional Flash
and a set of inexpensive eBay radio triggers iSHOOT, PT-04 C Wireless Remote Radio Flash Trigger, with 3 remote wireless radio receivers.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This post has been every helpfull. I will be looking into lighting options and this helps with a starting base. I want to be able to have something that is easy to carry but can work for about everything I would want to do. Lighting is everything, you can onl do so much touching up.

Thank you KmH, it is a very helpful post!
I'm looking for just a one strobe setup for now but the umbrella kit you linked is really cheap, so if it's sturdy enough for the outside world I'd probably go with that.
Although I'm wondering if I shouldn't go for just a single bigger umbrella...I mean if I'm carrying a reflector I might as well carry a bigger umbrella...no?
However I'll be using the kit outside mostly, my guess is that in sunlight, using only one speedlight and a reflector I could get decent results?
Also guessing a Superclamp could come in handy, am I right?

You'll need weights on the light stand legs to hold the lightstand and umbrellas up if there is any wind. Altus Athletic 20-Pound Standard Ankle / Wrist Weights

I buy my ankle weights at Wal-Mart. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-10-lb.-Pair-Adjustable-Ankle-Weights/14894523

The bigger the umbrella the more like a sail it is.

Super clamps are wonderful devices. For location work so are Lowell clamps, Justin clamps, magic arms, ball bungies, and plenty of gaffers tape.

You might find the following useful; Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Location Photography

For the ankle weights, I, weirdly enough, have some :LOL:
What would be the better buy though, a 30" or a 45"...I would use them for multiple things outside, not just shoulder portraits...probably more full body than anything else...maybe even some skateboard and the like...

For the ankle weights, I, weirdly enough, have some :LOL:
What would be the better buy though, a 30" or a 45"...I would use them for multiple things outside, not just shoulder portraits...probably more full body than anything else...maybe even some skateboard and the like...

The thought the same and bought a couple 45" umbrellas, but if I had to do it all over again, I would buy this setup to start out with. You can't beat the price. You will want to buy another flash later anyway... why not be ready for it.

The skateboard shots will most likely need to be taken with bare flash. I still use bare flash with a lot of OCF.

I have 32", 45" and 60" umbrellas. Some are white, some are silver, and some are gold. Some are convertible. Some are shoot through only.

Some are a cross between an umbrella and a softbox: 60 Softlighter with Diffuser Umbrella

There is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to light modifiers.

So for full body shots or full body and scene lighting I'd need a 60" a 45" for just full body? Also am I right in saying a gold umbrella would be best for shooting in bright daylight?
What is the difference in light between Shoot-through and regular white and silver umbrellas?

Shoot through is a bit softer. Reflective is a bit harsher and accents the light. Difference in colors b/n umbrellas would show up in skin tones vs ambient colors. I use reflective silver when in-studio or during formal portraits, portable light is armed w/ shoot through that can be opened or collapsed in seconds. Another difference b/n the two is often WB.

The size you need should be a bit larger than the subject. So 32" works for head and shoulders, and 60" is about right for a 3/4 shot. But, if you have more than 1 light. A single SB-600 will have difficulty filling a 60" umbrella. The radio trigger receivers I use (and linked you to) with speedlights can mount 2 light. With 2 lights the light output can effectively be doubled. note; the SB-600 does not have a very high GN number.

One light and a reflector is the bare minimum.

I can use gold mid-day to simulate evening 'golden hour' light, without having to sit around and 'wait for the light'.

I can use silver in the same way to simulate mid-day light during the evening or morning golden hours.

You can also add gels to your lights to correct for undesireable indoor location lighting, like flouescent or tungsten overhead lights.

Hopefully, you are realizing there is a lot to learn about lighting.

By the way I also have softboxes, snoots, grids, scrims, flags, gobo's, etc.

I use alot of cine foil and gaffers tape to improvise too.

Yes, I have the gels on my "to buy" list.

I was actually wondering whether or not gels would still work with the different kinds of umbrellas...

I guess I'll just get a 45" umbrella with the 5-1 reflector until I can afford 2x 285HV's with wireless triggers.
At least I'll get a feel for it and gain experience in minimalist lighting...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back