First Maternity Shoot

chrisburke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisburke.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It was freakin cold, on a beach, in PEI.. but it turned out pretty good....

20081002-e4djtekexh4u5cs85amdb9tdmx.jpg

20081002-cxtjwj4qa6swicccpprms8yjri.jpg

20081002-1ptesx1xab4ig97mrfte9f2xd8.jpg

Nice shots! but these look a little underexposed. Did you just use natural light? Looks like it's a bit overcast.

If you shot RAW try to increase your exposure. Or if you plan on doing it again..take your flashes..or one flash and a reflector :)

Nice shots. Looks like a tough day to shoot on. Alot of the expressions look unnatural; I know you said it was cold, which could be the issue. It's hard to act natural when you're freezing. I like the pose on #1, but I would have liked you to be slightly lower to get more of their faces. That's just me.

Also, it looks like there something on either your lens of sensor. On picture #3, there's two milky circles; one below his left hand, and one above her head. They are also visible in picture #1, but less pronounced. I can't make them out on #2, but they could just be faint. Were you in water droplet territory? Maybe dust on the lens or sensor.

Man. Response was eaten. Recap:

Theres color cast on the three photos. Auto Color in Photoshop fixes this.

On #3, there are smudges above the womans head and on the males left hand. Looks like maybe something got on the lens here.

Use that flash next time - control your own light.

Profit.

I did a simple white balance fix in GIMP (white balance is ALWAYS the first thing I check for with pics, so it's always my first attempt). I think it came out a tad better. But my monitor isn't calibrated either, so the color could still be off.
TPFpic.jpg

I think Rebecca's edit is a significant improvement.

Thank you.:mrgreen:

I just tried the other two. With the other two, I actually had to do +20 Blue because their skin (especially hers) looked yellow to me on my monitor.
And, honestly, it still does, but I'm afraid to add anymore blue to it because I'm afraid it'll be too much and all the whites will end up looking blue.
I also adjusted a little in curves by lighting it up and doing some contrast.
TPFpic2.jpg

His face still looks dark in this to me, maybe you could try dodging it some?
TPFpic3.jpg

Color still looks a hair off to me, but the brightness is definitely better.

I'm too tired to comment on anything non-technical. :lol:

It could have used a reflector or a strobe, also her hair is really messy try facing them into the wind next time. Posing could use some work too. and the last image has drips of water or smudges or something on the lens.

Already mentioned but check your lens. In all 3 pictures, there are 2 smudge or something on the lens...I see it in all the pictures. You can mainly see it in the last one but it's there in all 3.

I like the first 2 photos the best. In the last one, the pose looks awkward or something.

With a little pp, I think these will work ok. I did a really fast edit and here is my take on one of your pictures:

(My edit on the left, your original on the right)

20081002-cxtjwj4qa6swicccpprms8y-1.jpg
20081002-cxtjwj4qa6swicccpprms8yjri.jpg

Coming back to add...be careful on your crops. I sometimes forget as well but it's best to not crop at the joints.

Last edited:
Felt like playing with another photo & edited one other one:

(My edit on left, your original on right again)

20081002-e4djtekexh4u5cs85amdb9t-1.jpg
20081002-e4djtekexh4u5cs85amdb9tdmx.jpg

In both my edits, I just realized I forgot to go back in one of my layers and bring back the whites. Sorry about that one but you get the general idea of what I'd do with the photo. Can't believe I forgot my last step in them both.:blushing:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back