First model shoot c&c please

Raincheck

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi forum,

When I have time I'd like to shoot anything & everything but never tried a model shoot.
Asked a few colleagues at work but 99,9% didn't dare to do it only one had the guts!
Like me no experience at all both hadn't got a clue how to pull this of.

I had 2 x Canon speedlights 580 EX II 1 x pocketwizzard mini and 2 x pocketwizzard Flex TT5
for off camera flash, 5D markII + EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM (my favorite lens)
two light stands one silver umbrella.

First Cat (Catherine) had to find an outfit she had this vintage leather coat, leopard print dress and matching heels.
Now a location was needed, I didn't want to go too public first of all you don't have to watch your gear all the time
if it's a bit more private and secondly more important Cat would be more relaxed without prying eyes.

Did some research online how to set up your lights for a model shoot Cat did the same "how to pose" & make-up.

Hope the result is acceptable and your feedback is more ten welcome!

$cat_2012_gormanston1.jpg

Grtx Rain

Last edited:
I like the photo. I'm no pro but the only thing that really stands out at me is the harsh shadow under her neck. Otherwise, I think it's nice.

That’s a good observation Mach0 didn’t see it myself the harsh shadow under her neck, so will have to bring a white board/reflector the next time to bounce of some light. Thanks…

I like the jacket. Faux animal is out of style though.

I like the pic. Seems to me a second light left a few stops down or a reflector added to the left side might have done this image justice.

What exactly do you use your lighting gear for if not to shoot portraits? lol

Nice photo. Good use o backlighting without seeming overwhelming.

What exactly do you use your lighting gear for if not to shoot portraits? lol
:confused:
Any phuqeing thing that can be thought of, and then some.

Just because you can use flash doesn't mean you always should. ;)

In theory yes, but at the same time it still strikes me as weird. It's not like most people go out buying speedlites to shoot sports. or arcitecture...possibly cars but that seems more like a niche thing.

It just seemed like there was a lot of weird contextual information before the actual photo. No experience at all, ever, in my life, but look at this nicely done portrait. lol

For me this photo seems to be a little unsure of what it wants to be when it grows up.

There are elements of dramatic and contrasty light and shadow here, Caravaggio style or whatever, and then there are elements that seem to be striving for the classic fashion "lights all over the place, let's fill and fill and fill so you can see the clothes" look, which is almost the opposite. Both looks are fine, and in fact this look combining the two is also fine. It just feels a bit schizophrenic, and I think it would be a stronger image if it was more definitely one way or the other.

Lighting looks good. What I noticed was the mouth. It looks a little awkward like the model is giving us a smirk.

Thanks for all the comments,

Will give it an other go shortly and will take the comments on board.

Grtx Rick ...

Most reactions

Back