First moon shot!

Big

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
coffmanimages.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First moon shot with my new DSLR. I know everyone's probably seen 1,000,000 moon shots but here's one to make it 1,000,001. Took a few tries to get it right but I think I nailed it. I wish I had a 400mm instead of a 300mm but luckily the massive crop didn't lose any detail really...
IMG_0187.jpg

You should dramatically decreasing the f/# to at a maximum f/8, possibly f/9.6 with your f/4-5.6 lens. Keep the shutter speed about the same and see what it looks like - you may have to decrease it a bit to 1/200 or 1/250, but nothing shorter, as this image you posted is pretty dark.

For a first moon shot you have done really well, my first moon shot didnt look half as good as yours...

BUT I dont think you nailed it, its very soft IMO...

Now please dont get me wrong, I am no expert on moon photography but here are 2 examples of what I took. Second one may be overprocessed / sharpened / noisy but just compare yours in terms of softness.

moonshot.jpg

moon2.jpg

I like to actually see the craters on the moons surface.

Pretty good, but I agree with PushingTin in that it is too soft. I've never been able to capture the moon properly though, so good work thus far!

Nice shots by both of you.

Pushing Tin.....first shot is awesome and tack on but the second one is way over sharpened (in my opinion)

First moon shot with my new DSLR. I know everyone's probably seen 1,000,000 moon shots but here's one to make it 1,000,001. Took a few tries to get it right but I think I nailed it. I wish I had a 400mm instead of a 300mm but luckily the massive crop didn't lose any detail really...
IMG_0187.jpg

1. Shoot when the Moon is as high in the sky as possible to avoid atmospheric effects.
2. Try to avoid shooting over rooftops, paved areas due to heat waves.
3. If you use a large lens/telescope, let it reach outside temp before shooting, this applies especially to mirror lenses.
4. Use whatever method you camera allows to dampen vibrations. Mirror lock up, whatever. Use a self-timer or remote release, do not touch the camera.
5. Expose the Moon about 1.3 stops over because it is mostly white.
6. Use a shutter speed fast enough to overcome the rotation of the Earth. This speed increases with focal length used.
7. Use the longest focal length you can to make sure the image is as large as possible while making sure the atmospheric conditions (steadiness, do the stars twinkle, if so, it's not steady) will support it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back