First Newborn CC

LTP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did some practice shots of my friend's newborn boy today before I did his real shoot later this week. This is the first time I've ever shot a newborn.
I did these in the recovery room in the hospital and Brayden had an IV so it was difficult to move him around in crazy positions.

Used my Nikon D3100 with my kit lens just to see if it would work for newborns until I get a prime lens.

I just wanted to make sure the skin tone, exposure, white balance, etc. was working for me. I still have a ton more to edit but I am editing other session's as well. Obviously I'm not charging as I have so much to learn still. I have about 200 more shots, but these are the ones I've finished editing for tonight since I have to get up in 4 hours.

DSC_0003-1-1.png

DSC_0064-1-1.png

DSC_0084-1-1.png

DSC_0181-1.png

DSC_0138-1.png

Thank you in advance!

Anyone? I want to improve because I think I want to specialize in newborn photography. I think it's so much fun to work with children.

118 views and still nothing? :/

Perhaps it's the new mom in me, but I LOVE #3!

The first two, the skin looks very nice to me (on uncalibrated monitor, so I could be wrong). May I ask what sort of post processing you did? I'm having a heck of a time getting that baby skin just right.

LTP said:
118 views and still nothing? :/

It's probably because has been some tension from people getting offended when they get negative C&C lately but here's what I got on some. (plz be advice that I'm not a pro)

On #4 I see what you were trying to achieve but the foot almost looks like if doesn't belong to the baby. Maybe a shot showing only the foot or both feet will be better?
#5 could've been a solid shot but I wanna see the rest on the right. Take that same shot but in horizontal and you'll have a winner.
Other than a very cute baby the rest seem just like snapshots. Keep shooting.

The problem may be that your images are so huge it's taking a lot to load them.

Lose the blanket in every one. With newborns you want to have very simple, clean props and backgrounds. The blanket is probably special and should definitely be included in one or two, but it's also busy and takes from the baby.
Blanket is swallowing the baby in the last one.
The foot is beautiful. Crop down to just the little toes, otherwise it's very disproportionate and looks kinda funky.

The first is sweet
The second is really pink with no definition in the baby.

Most reactions

Back