First night in the "Studio"

Johno

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was a little bored, Decided to make a studio in my living room. I used a 36" roll of white paper, 4 "swing arm" desk lamps with compact fluorescent bulbs.....

Newest film body.....
Image_0089-1.jpg

Some of my other gear.....
Image_0111.jpg

Self Portrait...
Image_0165.jpg

The setup.... Shooting my baby!!!!

Image_0184.jpg

The lighting setup cost me a total of $60, This is mt first time taking "Product shots" so if any of you pro's out there have any tips or edits I would appreciate it!!
cheers,
Johnny

Make sure you post that self-portrait of yours into the New Artsy-Fartsy Self Portrait Thread! Will you?

Nice set up ... Where would I get such paper from, I wonder (here, I mean, where I live... :scratch:) ... looks like a nice little appointment for oneself to try some product photography with some good lighting!

wow, that's such a good idea. I was thinking of buying some more SB-600's and hooking them to an umbrella and using that as a studio set up, but this really makes me reconsider.

Sw1tchFX said:
wow, that's such a good idea. I was thinking of buying some more SB-600's and hooking them to an umbrella and using that as a studio set up, but this really makes me reconsider.

I know what you mean, I was trying to justify a couple more flashes as well. I was just reading up on compact fluorescent bulbs this afternoon and decided to give it a try. I think my next project is going to be a couple of softboxes that work with the lights. I ordered higher wattage bulbs this afternoon I think that'll make a huge difference.

stage some sort of translucent material near the hottest lights, youll get a lot less shadow play on your paper... diffusing them a bit, just dont let it catch on fire...

cool shots

Pray what is a Canon EOS Elan 7, Johno?
Dunno that model.

LaFoto said:
Nice set up ... Where would I get such paper from, I wonder (here, I mean, where I live... :scratch:) ... looks like a nice little appointment for oneself to try some product photography with some good lighting!

I'm thinking butcherblock paper form a restaurant supply house.

Great stuff, another think you can do to reduce the shadows is by using a dove grey background paper and exposing the shot so the paper is white, this is easier with subjects who don't actually make contact with the paper because placing them in front makes it easier to sepparate the background light and the main and fill sources. Also, believe it or not, the closer a light source is to a subject, the softer the shadow will be. A shower curtain or a sheet about 6 - 8 inches from the light will soften the shadows a bit as well.

happy shooting!

Cheers

wow, you've certainly got a good set up there! all I have is a piece of fabric and a table lamp xD
looks great!

That is a nice set up and its always good to see a nice film setup. I myself still dabble in film and in the darkroom and love it.

The EOS 650 is a classic. I bet you end up preferring it to the Elan, even with all the fancy new features.

Most reactions

Back