First outdoor portrait shoot by a landscape guy, need critiques?

MikeFlorendo

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
People keep asking me to do portraits and I keep saying no but I guess it's time. Went out last week to first outdoor portrait shoot. Any critiques would help. Thanks-

Attachments

• Jess3.jpg
    Jess3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 206
  • Jess7.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 134
  • Jess12.jpg
    Jess12.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 153
  • Jess.jpg
    Jess.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 168
  • Jess9.jpg
    Jess9.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 150
Not a bad first go (in future resizing images to <250kb makes life easier for everyone). A few things strike me. 4 images, four different white balances? You should always have consistency across a set, and a simple white/grey card would help you get that sorted in post. You were working in very strongly back-lit conditions, and I like what it's done with the dress, but you really needed fill light on her face. In a couple of the images, it looks like you've fairly aggressive in your shadow recovery, and in all the eyes lack catchlights and are rather dull and lifeless. Lastly, watch for the little things; fly-away hairs, blown highlights (the fill light would have helped with that), and overly-centered compositions.

Not a bad first go (in future resizing images to <250kb makes life easier for everyone). A few things strike me. 4 images, four different white balances? You should always have consistency across a set, and a simple white/grey card would help you get that sorted in post. You were working in very strongly back-lit conditions, and I like what it's done with the dress, but you really needed fill light on her face. In a couple of the images, it looks like you've fairly aggressive in your shadow recovery, and in all the eyes lack catchlights and are rather dull and lifeless. Lastly, watch for the little things; fly-away hairs, blown highlights (the fill light would have helped with that), and overly-centered compositions.

Perfect! Thank you that's exactly what I needed. I purchased some reflectors after that shoot but can't afford a fill light yet but will rent one from the local photo shop next shoot. Yes I was aggressive with the shadow recovery because of the lack of fill light. How do you use the white/grey card? Thanks again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back