First outing with my scratched tlr

birket

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I decided to stick a roll of black and white film in my yashica and went out to our local forest to see what tlr shooting was like. This is the first time I have shot with medium format. What an experience. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Nearly two hours wandering around and I only took 6 shots. Normally I would take my fuji x100 or gx1 and shoot 20 or 30 shots - perhaps 3 or 4 different versions of each composition. Having the 12-shot MF camera just slowed me down and made me think about what I was doing a bit more. This is exactly what I hoped shooting MF would do.

Looking through the waist level finder was great, though I think it will take some time to get used to the orientation. It made me feel like I was drunk trying to get things level!

hopefully I will finish the roll tomorrow and put it into the developers, so next week I might see the fruits of my labour.

Great stuff! I sooo wish I had a TLR! I came across on in great shape, a German model I can't remember, but it cost too much. Even at 36 frames, I'm starting to feel like I'm spraying and praying :p I want a MF camera!

Assuming I continue with MF photography (which I full intend to do at the moment) I am certainly going to have to look into alternative options for developing, even if that means ding it myself (yikes!). I've just dropped of my first test roll of B&" to our one and only local lab (Snappy Snaps) and the bill is about £18 to develop and print a set of 4x4! Sheesh!

Do it yourself. It is very easy and definitely worth the time and effort.

$yashica editA.jpg
Here's an awful scan (from my office scanner) of one of the shots from my first roll of film. Its my 6-year old with a moody face on! I'm reasonably happy with this first roll to be honest. It was a useful exercise. The Yashica is going back though as the lens had a scratch on it which the seller didn't mention, but in actual fact, the results don't seem affected by it. I should be getting my Rolleicord III back after a CLA in the next couple of days, so I will see how that compares.

The film I used was Ilford HP5 Plus 400. The weather was a little overcast, and I think I shot this at f3.5.

Not a bad shot. It has a vintage look to it. Maybe a little tighter crop?
Thoughout the years, I had the Yashica 124G, Mamiya 330, 220 and a Rollieflex. TLR's are a lot of fun.

You film guys are really torturing me to get back into it.

Not a bad shot. It has a vintage look to it. Maybe a little tighter crop?

Agreed. To be perfectly honest, we were rushing to my car to get to a kid's party, hence the grumpy look and the 'questionable' framing/background composition. I have just ordered a second hand scanner (an Epson Perfection 3170) which should give me better scanning results so that I can try and print a bit larger. Its not going to be the best scanner in the world, but I'm just trying things out so don't want to spend too much on this hobby just yet.

You know, I'm probably alone here, but sometimes I enjoy just sitting back and viewing good 'ol fashion honest photography. The dreaded snapshot, if you will.
Funny though, if this would have been in color, it never would have caught my eye. Sometimes striving for perfection steals the fun of pressing the shutter.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good you can't go wrong with HP5, here's one shot at iso1600 and stand developed in Rodinal for 2 hours

rchie%202hr%20dev1-L.jpg

I have had 4 Yashica 124Gs, a D, 635, Rolleicord IVb, Minolta Autocord, Ricohflex, Ciroflex, and a couple I can't remember. I have sold 3 of the 124Gs and kept the one with the sharpest lens. The Rollei and Minolta are also gone. The rest are sitting in the darkroom. They did alot of weddigs for me over the years. Now they are all just for pleasure. It is fun to take out a Pony 828, loaded with 35mm taped to the backing and see some expressions at photo places. I know all about the grumpy faces. Black and white is just a lot of fun.

Most reactions

Back