First Photo Post

IanRB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey im Ian. I haven't posted any pictures yet, but heres a few that i took while trying to learn how to use my moms old slr thats 28 years old. Its a Minolta XG 9. Not the greatest anymore but its something at least. Anyways comments on what i should improve what you like or anything at all. Oh by the way the black and white ones had a scratch or something on the film and my scanner isnt that great so the picture quality was ruined quite a bit.

Hi Ian, congratulations on securing yourself your mom's SLR to start out taking photos, and welcome to ThePhotoForum.

Thanks for letting us see your most recent work.

I can tell from a first glance only (scanned print quality all aside) that you are very well on the way and already have a great eye.

You put DOF (depth of field) very nicely into use.
You dare to get close to the subject.
You see interesting light and shadow situations and expose well and frame them pleasingly.
You see patterns and shapes and compose nice photos of them.
You recognise leading lines and let them work in your composition.
You start out doing night-photography (!), which is something I haven't dared doing in decades!

You clearly are on your way.

My two personal favourites of this series are Photos 7 and 9 - because of their simple but quite effective composition in both.

these are great, i particularly like number 6, is it a lightbulb? i now have the urge to go smash up a lightbulb, and see if i can get something similar!!

I totally go along with LaFoto (and my favourites are ## 6-8).

I suggest you get that camera cleaned up, though! There's obviously a grain of sand there that sends a loooong scratch all along the film...

Great stuff! Very simple stuff yet very impressive. I love 6 and 10. I also like the grain of the photos, whether thats the camera or the film. But yeah you'll probably want to get that camera cleaned up.

Quality asaide and in agreement with LaFoto, I think these are really good. My faves are 5 and 6. I think youll need to have some cleaning done inside the camera though :-(

Thanks for the postive comments. I do need to clean the camera but i also think that scratch has something to do with the roll of black and white film i used was who knows how old. I had found it with the camera.

^^ lol I noticed that too, too funny.

very nice shots, 9 and 10 are my favorites.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back