First Photo Shoot (for free of course)

Joshua_Lee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to this forum and wanted some advice. I have my first photo shoot of a friend of mine who is willing to model for me. Any advice for a rookie? I am a little nervous since this is my first portrait session. For the past year my focus has been landscapes, but I think I am ready to branch out a little. Any help would be great. Looking for easy mistakes to avoid.

Cheers

List your equipment would help people give you advice

I am new to this forum and wanted some advice. I have my first photo shoot of a friend of mine who is willing to model for me. Any advice for a rookie? I am a little nervous since this is my first portrait session. For the past year my focus has been landscapes, but I think I am ready to branch out a little. Any help would be great. Looking for easy mistakes to avoid.

Cheers

I did my first shoot last weekend, so relax and have fun. Try to aviod direct sunlight that can blow out parts of your shot. Use of a tripod would have really been helpful when I did mine (Have a tripod now). One thing I was told after posting some of the pics for C&C is try to aviod distracting backgrounds. Take time at first to make sure you have the camera settings you want ( messed up a couple shots up by not do that).

your equipment will be really helpful that way we can definately help you more. With the information you gave us all we can tell you is to have fun and know your camera and how to change all the settings

I'm not a portrait photographer, but when I do have to shoot portraits I try and talk with them during the shoot. Ask them questions to get their mind off the big camera in their face. Also if you are just shooting natural light try a window that has indirect light coming in or like cardinals1970 said shoot in the shade, its much more pleasing. hope this helps.

Its hard to give accurate advice as we dont know the equipment youhave, or where you'll be taking pics (indoor/outdoor) im still a bit of a newb. but honestly, Focus on eyes, Have good even lighting (not harsh direct sunlight) and Dont always center your subject. IF you have outdoor pics try to take the pic so the background is out of focus (DOF). Everyone has a style of their own. But at the very least. Focus on their eyes.

talk. Don't be silent. Even if its stupid stuff like movies. Don't let the room go silent.

Make sure you get your focus right shoot in raw because you can get over exposure and white balance issues but not if it is out of focus, chech your shutter speed is fast enough to stop camera shake use aperture priority

talk. Don't be silent. Even if its stupid stuff like movies. Don't let the room go silent.

that. great call mooney.

to that ill add, dont wait for poses or smiles. keep them engaged and shoot the whole time you're talking.

it might be some of the best advice ive gotten. :thumbup:

Unless your subject is sitting you'll mostly want to use the vertical format.

Don't forget the guidelines for good composition, try and place an eye on a ROT power point.

Direct sunlight is BAD. Avoid it, and dappled light at all costs, using open shade instead.

Hopefully you have looked at some online info about lighting portraiture. There is short lighting, broad lighting, rim lighting, butterfly lighting, and others.

The right location having open shade allows using sunlight as the main light and a low power pop of on-camera flash, or light from a reflector as fill.

Focus on the eyes. They are the most important part of a portrait and at least the eye closest to the camera needs to be tack sharp. Having both eyes tack sharp is even better, so be carefull with depth-of-field.

Posing is another portraiture skill. avoid the football player look with the shoulders parallel to the image sensor. Visible joints should be bent. Don't frame a shot so a limb is cut at a joint because it looks like it was amputated.

I want my subject to stand or sit tall, leaning from the waist just over where their belt buckle would be and most of their weight on the back foot.

Don't let any nose shadow intersect the upper lip line.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I just created my profile and assumed that it postd my gear when I listed it on my profile. I know have a signature with my gear on it. I am for the first time shooting in raw, but can't seem to get Elements 7 to pull up my raw files. Does anyone know if the plug-in for Photoshop is camera specific?

Cheers

Just have fun! As long as your friend knows your a rookie just go with it and see how it turns out there is always next time :)

I would suggest using the 50mm lens. Like people said don't shoot with direct sunlight. Try to avoid his/her shadow in the photo and don't shoot all pictures with them looking at the camera. Be creative and try new things. Nothing is more boring than a centered photo with them looking directly into the camera. If that's what you're getting into then that's fine but nothing wrong with trying new things. You said it's for free so milk him for what it's worth for all the practice you can get. Have fun.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back