First Photo Shoot! ( Organizing )

KrisKozlowskiMoore

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi!

Basically looking to organise my first 'fashion' shoot, have no experience in the field at all! So was wondering if anyone could give me any advice whats so ever. Including where to hire models ( any good experience with certain modeling agencys ), speicifc techniques, i havnt got any artificial light so purely natural light shoot, probably in a sunlit forest, so any techniques people know or have used that would be great! even tips about talking to the model or just anything would be appreciated!

Thanks

kris :D

Would you like us to shoot it for you also?

Right ok, thanks for the sarcasm! Really helpful, just asking for advice, sorry it offended you so much, if it offends you so much dont comment? all i wanted was some help

Sometimes the topic is too vague to really give you an answer. There are whole books written about shooting people, and techniques.
As far as getting a model, try Model Mayhem. But I think you will need to have pictures of people to even get an account. So you might have to find some of your own friends or family to get going. Or even try Craiglist. Techniques? Can you be more specific? Personally, not knowing the location, I would say beware of dappled sunlight, it isn't always the best. Also, what equipment do you have? Onboard flash? Know how to use it? Do you have a diffuser? Reflectors? What lenses? What is your experience level? Do you have a portfolio of your work online? Can we see it? Whose work do you admire? Anyone you want to emulate? Try searching Flickr for images, and see what strikes your fancy.

Specific questions tend to yield the most useful answers. Asking for tips and tricks is just tooooo wide open.

Ball is in your court.

Right ok, thanks for the sarcasm! Really helpful, just asking for advice, sorry it offended you so much, if it offends you so much dont comment? all i wanted was some help
At the risk of offending further, you aren't asking for some help; if I read your post correctly, you're asking for a step-by-step guide on how to do a fashion shoot. Even if you had supplied us with more relevant details (venue, purpose, etc), it would still be an impossibly large task. You're posting in this sub-forum, so I have to assume that you're a working photographer of at least some experience, yet you're unsure of how to talk to a model (Try English, that usually works well)?

I can't imagine trying to shoot fashion in a sun-lit forest (Think the infamous 'dappled' light! :confused: ) or without at the absolute least a couple of speedlights, nevermind a slew of monolights and a couple of large battery packs.

I would suggest going back to the drawing-board. Start doing some reading on the basics, practice, post for critique and build your experience!

You're posting in this sub-forum, so I have to assume that you're a working photographer of at least some experience, yet you're unsure of how to talk to a model (Try English, that usually works well)?

Jeeze John, make me EL OH EL why don't you. :lmao:

HERE IS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW about how to talk to models, pose them, and to do a fashion shoot!! TRUST ME!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go back to square one, look at some picture books, go online and find the "I haven't got a clue how to set a modelling shoot up" and look at the pictures. I assume that you do know how the camera you are using works, and that you have some kind of experience with photography.

Try crawling before you try walking.

Passive aggressive people sans the passive. Let's pretend we're civil human beings while we are at it.

Do you have any sort of a portfolio? If not I would honestly recommend finding a friend and figuring all of this stuff out with them rather than a m odel.

It sounds like to me you don't have much experience at all in photography, let alone fashion shooting... and that statement isn't meant to be rude, just an observation based off of the EXTREMELY limited amount of information you've offered.

Assuming that *is* the case... I agree with the "crawl before you walk" comment.

Learn basic photography.

Use friends and family for practice.

Once you've gotten *that* down... *then* try for something more... specific?

You're definitely not going to get agencies to take you seriously at this point, so I wouldn't even try. Well I mean you *could*... maybe you'd get lucky, but I doubt it.

Passive aggressive people sans the passive. Let's pretend we're civil human beings while we are at it.......
From what the OP posted he/she indicates he/she is clueless in many respects well beyond, "have no experience in the field at all!"
Such as being to unprofessional to check his/her spelling, use the appropriate capital letters/punctuation, or even providing enough info to respond intelligently.

So much for making a good first impression - with post #1 on the forums.

In fact, I interpret his/her post more as braggadocio - "First Photo Shoot!" - than actually seeking useful information.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back