First Photo Shoot! ( Organizing )

Passive aggressive people sans the passive. Let's pretend we're civil human beings while we are at it.

Do you have any sort of a portfolio? If not I would honestly recommend finding a friend and figuring all of this stuff out with them rather than a m odel.

BAD idea...shooting even one session with a decent model will teach you more about posing and photographing a model than ten sessions with "a friend". Tell the model you are inexperienced, and ask for some guidance. Ask her what her strong suits are, and ask her to guide the shoot toward some of HER strengths, because your skills are obviously undeveloped.

Sorry Derrel I have to respectfully disagree. That's like getting the answer sheet for an exam and claiming the A+ as your own.
If the OP puts in the groundwork before the session with a friend they will be able to critically determine how to best pose their model, how to work the light. If they let the model take over the shoot they will be learning nothing. Sure, they will probably have better images at the end of the day but that isn't really what it is about at this part of the game. I photograph people as my job, 90% of my clients have no experience as being the subject in front of the camera. If I had based my portfolio off of models I would have some severely disappointed clients. It's about taking your vision from the shoot, amalgamating it with that of the model and creating an image. Hand over practically all the control to the model and congratulations you are now a button pusher.

Not to be the ass here but let me just show you one image. This girl has never modeled in her life. She hasn't even had professional images outside of school taken before. I don't pretend to be a studio photographer or even a beauty/fashion/glamour (whatever) photographer by ANY stretch of the imagination. But with my previous knowledge of posing I was able to work with her to create this image.
5429668647_2741dbf2de.jpg

ETA: Is it perfect? No. Could I have had more shots from this shoot using a professional model? Yes. But I learnt a heck of a lot more from this shoot than using a professional model.

Not to be the ass here but let me just show you one image. This girl has never modeled in her life. She hasn't even had professional images outside of school taken before. I don't pretend to be a studio photographer or even a beauty/fashion/glamour (whatever) photographer by ANY stretch of the imagination. But with my previous knowledge of posing I was able to work with her to create this image.
5429668647_2741dbf2de.jpg

ETA: Is it perfect? No. Could I have had more shots from this shoot using a professional model? Yes. But I learnt a heck of a lot more from this shoot than using a professional model.

I think this shot is damn near perfect. there is some little things but overall its a sick shot

Hi!

Basically looking to organise my first 'fashion' shoot, have no experience in the field at all! So was wondering if anyone could give me any advice whats so ever. Including where to hire models ( any good experience with certain modeling agencys ), speicifc techniques, i havnt got any artificial light so purely natural light shoot, probably in a sunlit forest, so any techniques people know or have used that would be great! even tips about talking to the model or just anything would be appreciated!

Thanks

I have to disagree with the suggestion that you ought to begin with regular "friends"

The photographer above, submitting a B&W image of a topless woman...that photographer already had "previous knowledge" of posing, and the woman photographed is apparently topless, and she is flat-out gorgeous...not much of a challenge,really to make a pleasing image with implied nudity and a gorgeous woman in it...even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while...even a broken clock is correct twice a day. But it's not a fashion photo...and it's not a beauty photo...it's a headshot...you want to do "fashion", so consult or hire somebody who works in the field of fashion. Not dentistry, or the restaurant biz.

The OP has almost zero preparation...once again, I'll go back to recommending that he do what has worked for decades for tens of thousands of photographers: hire a real,experienced MODEL for his first few sessions. So that at least ONE of them knows what the hell is going on. And if one is as unprepared as the OP is, maybe one might wish to pick up a stack of Vogue magazines from the biblioteca...maybe even read a book, or watch a dozen videos on YouTube...

As for the claim that using a model is, "...like getting the answer sheet for an exam and claiming the A+ as your own. " Well, I'd have to disagree with that too...that's just a bad analogy. This is "the business district", is it not? What is such a good idea with a newbie futzing around blindly with amateurs who have zero experience when the shooter also has zero experience with fashion photography? Are a couple of his "friends" going to suddenly reveal secrets of fashion photography to him? Will they also give him insight on small engine repair? Do two neophytes, when paired together, suddenly have twice the brain power and experience of a single professional in the field? A smart business person uses the resources available to him; if you want to get into a new branch of professional photography, seek out an EXPERT in the SAME area you want to improve your skill set in.

1. No portfolio and asking a model to go into a forest sounds risky... not many responces.
2. You do own a DSLR and not just a P&S don't you?
3. Do you have much experience with photography? if you don't your images will probably turn out crap, try shooting non-model scenes (landscapes, still life and candids) until you get used to exposure, this way your images can be great.

Judging by the total of THREE visits to the OP's profile page, and me being the only one whose name shows up there, I wonder just how much some of the people in this thread know about out OP? Three years' worth of photographic experience. Working for a sports photography company. Sixteen years of age. A resident of Manchester,England. When a person has ZERO experience in a new field, there's almost no chance that working with others with ZERO experience is going to be a learning experience.

Next week I am going to have my wife's cousin's nephews, twin boys, 16 years old, pull my car's engine and transmission and then put in a new transmission, and re-install everything. I need a new transmission, and even though my brother is a certified Chrysler mechanic, I've opted to go with the free labor provided by my wife's cousin's nephews and to save the $390 labor + parts deal my bro could give me through the shop he runs...that would be like, cheating, to have a qualified professional car mechanic working in a full-equipped Chrysler-certified repair shop, replace my transmission, when me and my wife's cousin's two nephews could read the Chilton's manual and probably (and I stress probably) complete the job within three days time, if we work 9 hours a day and do not screw up anything).

Why would I pay somebody $390 + parts for professional experience, tools, and skills, when I can have my wife's cousin's nephews, aka The Twins, help me out over a three, or four day period?

I have to disagree with the suggestion that you ought to begin with regular "friends"

The photographer above, submitting a B&W image of a topless woman...that photographer already had "previous knowledge" of posing, and the woman photographed is apparently topless, and she is flat-out gorgeous...not much of a challenge,really to make a pleasing image with implied nudity and a gorgeous woman in it...even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while...even a broken clock is correct twice a day. But it's not a fashion photo...and it's not a beauty photo...it's a headshot...you want to do "fashion", so consult or hire somebody who works in the field of fashion. Not dentistry, or the restaurant biz.

The OP has almost zero preparation...once again, I'll go back to recommending that he do what has worked for decades for tens of thousands of photographers: hire a real,experienced MODEL for his first few sessions. So that at least ONE of them knows what the hell is going on. And if one is as unprepared as the OP is, maybe one might wish to pick up a stack of Vogue magazines from the biblioteca...maybe even read a book, or watch a dozen videos on YouTube...

As for the claim that using a model is, "...like getting the answer sheet for an exam and claiming the A+ as your own. " Well, I'd have to disagree with that too...that's just a bad analogy. This is "the business district", is it not? What is such a good idea with a newbie futzing around blindly with amateurs who have zero experience when the shooter also has zero experience with fashion photography? Are a couple of his "friends" going to suddenly reveal secrets of fashion photography to him? Will they also give him insight on small engine repair? Do two neophytes, when paired together, suddenly have twice the brain power and experience of a single professional in the field? A smart business person uses the resources available to him; if you want to get into a new branch of professional photography, seek out an EXPERT in the SAME area you want to improve your skill set in.

Okay to be fair I do suck at analogies. One person I was discussing insurance with and I somehow got to alien cows falling through roofs so I will hand that one to you ;)

I want to start off by saying you are 100% entitled to your opinion however I want to make sure that the OP (and whoever this may be beneficial to) see both sides. :)

Zokay. Let's start with one thing I was meaning to say in my previous post. With no portfolio what kind of talented model is going to willingly help them. This is an industry where it is overwhelmed by hacks - both photographers and models. So what you seem to be suggesting is that they hire or do a TFP (trade for print is that it? Whatever it is) with an experienced model. Well the chance of them even finding a model who really know their angles and how to be photographed is slim. No self-respecting model is going to do a shoot with a complete and utter newbie in that field (said with love OP).

Okay. As for having two individuals with zero experience in their fields, I have to ask myself - how the hell did I learn anything? I surely never hired models. I have no formal training. I know tons of people who are uber successful photographers who are the same (I do not count myself among them btw). Where is self-discovery and self-learning coming in? So I call this line, "When a person has ZERO experience in a new field, there's almost no chance that working with others with ZERO experience is going to be a learning experience." to be a bit of BS.

As for my shot (thank you for pointing out she's 'topless' I find that a bit weird. But for the record she did have a tube top on but.. okay pokey) I wasn't posting it to say "Hey OP, you can do this kinda picture straight out of the gates!" Yes I have some experience with portraiture. No I don't have hardly any experience with studio. Or models. Or beauty/headshot/whatever (hence my 'whatever' in my post I wasn't trying to classify it into any of those just FYI). This girl was admittedly pretty - she is also a friend of a friend. A 'regular' friend. It is possible to have pretty 'regular' friends to 'practice' on. Oh, and sorry to say but maybe it is because you are coming form the 'male perspective' (sorry to draw the sexist card here but you seem to delve into that already) but it is difficult to shoot even beautiful women. You seem to be implying that since the subject is pretty and 'implied nudity' it's considered a good portrait. Excuse me while I go on a 5 second image hunt and find a stash of horrible photos of beautiful 'implied nude' women.

Also are you the dude in that TS thread that said 'futzing around' because I am stealing that line. Futzing around sounds so flipping negative it's awesome. But you ask What is such a good idea with a newbie futzing around blindly with amateurs who have zero experience when the shooter also has zero experience with fashion photography? Simply because by futzing around s/he is going to gain a sh!t-ton more experience. You learn from you mistakes much harder than from your successes. Believe me. I have had a plenty.

Anywho. I have a delicious dead cow sitting on a bun waiting for me to devour it so I best go attend to that. Once again, I do respect your opinion although I do not agree with it. Have a marvellous day :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back