First photo shoot!!

indeedies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[Edit] I've added more photos to my site. Hoping I can get some advice for the upcoming shoot with the same model on Thursday. Thanks!

This may seem like a tad to long for a post but please read it and help me out if possible.:D

First off I'm not trying to draw attention to my site. Just trying to get honest feedback of three pictures from a shoot today. I can't seem to figure out how to upload from Smugmug and I don't want to upload these to Flickr (it's been a long day :lol:).

Secondly, I was able to help a friend/model start her modeling portfolio today and was hoping for some feedback on how to make these better. We're going to be doing some different clothes (more fancy stuff) next week so I want to improve as much as possible before then. Out of 800 photos I was able to get about 500 that I felt comfortable showing to her afterwards. These ones were done with minimal post-processing. Mainly just cropping and warming the colors a tad.

Erin - Forever Ever Photography- powered by SmugMug

Here's what I used: Nikon 70s with 50mm 1.8 and 55-200 4-5.6

Here's what I have at my disposal: sb600, second flash (can't remember name right now) umbrella stand, tripods, triggering mechanism for flash.

Thanks for any help or advice that you have. One major question I have is that a lot of my photos I needed to fix the WB afterwards. They just kept coming out with a buish hue to them. I'm able to fix pp but want to be able to do this in camera. I was using the Auto function, noticed the hue, then went to the "Cloudy" setting and was still getting it. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
That looks nice! I like the one with her with the jacket.

Try using FlickrUploadr - you can just drag folders and masses of pictures into a program you install onto your machine...then it automatically uploades them to your flickr account(you can edit info before uploading, such as name description set and all that other jazz)

You should put the photos attach to your post and is going to be a lot better.
Just a tip all the photos when you fully scalled are soft but the one that she is stand up with the red scarf is totally out of focus. That is the first thing that you need to work

About exposure Nailed :thumbup:
Composition it is look OK for me but will play more different poses with the subject
Illumination and DOF nailed :thumbup:

You may want to custom white balance with a grey card to fix the blue problem.

First one - out of focus - if you look the focus fell on the tree behind her

Second one - I think its because I dont know what shes laughing at that Im confused.

Third one - DOF is too shallow. Would have it at 3.5-4. Her face is soft, hand oof. Also the hand hanging there looks a little odd.

Shes a beautiful girl. Have fun with your next session!

That looks nice! I like the one with her with the jacket.

Try using FlickrUploadr - you can just drag folders and masses of pictures into a program you install onto your machine...then it automatically uploades them to your flickr account(you can edit info before uploading, such as name description set and all that other jazz)

I do have the uploader program and I guess to make it easier on people here I'll do that next time. I just have to upload to my site then to flickr and with some of these photos it takes quite some time. Thanks for the input too!!

You should put the photos attach to your post and is going to be a lot better.
Just a tip all the photos when you fully scalled are soft but the one that she is stand up with the red scarf is totally out of focus. That is the first thing that you need to work

About exposure Nailed :thumbup:
Composition it is look OK for me but will play more different poses with the subject
Illumination and DOF nailed :thumbup:

I definitely think the photo is soft and while I have more crisp and clear ones, this is the client like the most out of this set. Are there others out there that think this is out of focus or is it just too soft? Maybe I'll just use photographer discretion for my site ;).

And thanks for making me take a second look. We have a lot of shots but I'm realizing that one of my weaknesses won't be behind the camera but actually leading the subject on how to pose, act, look, etc. etc... I'll continue to work on that I imagine.

You may want to custom white balance with a grey card to fix the blue problem.

First one - out of focus - if you look the focus fell on the tree behind her

Second one - I think its because I dont know what shes laughing at that Im confused.

Third one - DOF is too shallow. Would have it at 3.5-4. Her face is soft, hand oof. Also the hand hanging there looks a little odd.

Shes a beautiful girl. Have fun with your next session!

Thanks Incognito. Now that you said it my eyes are now drawn to that hand!! lol. I'll choose a different picture from that set where her hand is more properly placed.

And I get the sense that I should be using a smaller aperature next time :lol:

[Edit] And now I'm looking at the scarf picture you're talking about and see what you're saying. Definitely not soft. Just completely out of focus! And this was the best pose out of the set! A mistake I'll definitely rememeber in the future.

Last edited:
I love the one of her with the green sweater on I think that one was the best her smile was real not posed at all.

Put up some more photos on the site. I'd greatly appreciate some feedback to make them better. Posing, lighting, DOF, anything really to help build my knowledge would be a plus :lol:

Most reactions

Back