First photoshop edit

blackrose89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last edited:
Very nice edits. One comment though, and it's a minor one. In the first "Before" image it's easy to see that it is an alligator. In the final it's hard to tell if it's a gator or porpoise or something else. If you leave the contrast where it is and lighten the whole image up a little bit the pink in his mouth is visible again and it becomes obvious that it's a gator.

I'm not going to do it for you since it's perfectly obvious that you know what looks good and how to achieve it. Very well done.

I want CS5 so bad it's about to kill me.
I use LightRoom, so I can't clone or layer, or any of the cool stuff.
I have to get it right in the camera. Then enhance the raw file.

blackrose89 said:

Your clone job on the gator next to the wood isn't very good. It does take some time to get good at cloning though!

I think you might have darkened it too much. I'm on my phone so I can't be sure but the gator is really dark in the last one. You can always use a layer mask to erase some of the effects - it doesn't have to affect the whole image.

You can open jpegs in camera raw as well. You should check it out if you haven't. It's a good place to correct WB and exposure as well as other things. You have to choose open as - then change the file drop down menu to camera raw. Then you can open any jpeg. Or if your using bridge (also part of PS) you can right click and choose open in camera raw. Bridge and photoshop both have Adobe camera raw.

Dude that sucks really badly.
I'm shocked that you don't have CS5.

Oh well, it's worth every penny once you do get it!

:thumbup:

blackrose89 said:
And... That should do it!!!

Gator feeding by blackrose1981, on Flickr

Your clone job on the gator next to the wood isn't very good. It does take some time to get good at cloning though!

I think you might have darkened it too much. I'm on my phone so I can't be sure but the gator is really dark in the last one. You can always use a layer mask to erase some of the effects - it doesn't have to affect the whole image.

You can open jpegs in camera raw as well. You should check it out if you haven't. It's a good place to correct WB and exposure as well as other things. You have to choose open as - then change the file drop down menu to camera raw. Then you can open any jpeg. Or if your using bridge (also part of PS) you can right click and choose open in camera raw. Bridge and photoshop both have Adobe camera raw.

I know I am aweful at cloning lol!

Dude that sucks really badly.
I'm shocked that you don't have CS5.

Oh well, it's worth every penny once you do get it!

:thumbup:

I know.
I just take a different approach to photography.
I've never posted anything here that's been photoshopped.
Ever.
That comes with its own set of draw backs.
It also pushes me. I know where I want to be with this.
There's only one way to get there.

Very nice edits. One comment though, and it's a minor one. In the first "Before" image it's easy to see that it is an alligator. In the final it's hard to tell if it's a gator or porpoise or something else. If you leave the contrast where it is and lighten the whole image up a little bit the pink in his mouth is visible again and it becomes obvious that it's a gator.

I'm not going to do it for you since it's perfectly obvious that you know what looks good and how to achieve it. Very well done.

Thank you!

Download Corel Paintshop Pro X4 and try it. Many of the same capabilities as Photoshop at about 1/10 the price. I hate its RAW convertor though (but then I do have X3 so maybe they improved it). It allows complete layer manipulation and does clone very well. 30-day trial costs nothing.

If you have a Mac, try Pixelmator. It's what I use. I enjoy it much more than Photoshop, and it's waaay cheaper (like $70 I think).

Photoshop is like a language. Each day learn a new word and then make sentences. In a year you will be having a conversation.

Thanks everyone! I've always loved this photo! I took this a few years back and thought it was a good action shot. I have a fascination with alligators!

Most reactions

Back