First pic of person

dream rider

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first ever attempt at an acceptable picture of a person, this one being my girlfriend while she was driving. please critisize it until its dead, i need lots of help with these kind of pictures! thanks a lot!!

DSC_00122.jpg

Jeff

IMO the shot doesn't have a whole lot going on...seems hazy too. I think I get where you're coming from though..close-up shots of someone's eyes in an intense stare can be...well...intense. The problems for me with this shot are that a) she's wearing glasses so there is no intensity coming from her and b) you can't see where she's looking--some empty space in front of her face would show me she's "looking"...no just "eyes".

Another thing to play with would be focusing on the reflection in her glasses... maybe another car ride ;)

just my opinion :sillysmi:

I think I see what you were going for. You can see what she was seeing in the reflection of her sunglasses but I think if you try it again, which you should, you should back up a bit and try a different angle.
It does look sort of grainy or something, ISO high? I barely know what I'm talking about here so bare with me but it looks like that when I set my ISO too high.
Try to get that reflection to be more a part of the photo and it will tell a little story I think. :)

hey,

thanks guys...also silentrunning? ouch...ahah....and does that happen if the ISO is high? it gets grainy? cuz i def had it up there....thanks!

Jeff

hey,

does that happen if the ISO is high? it gets grainy? cuz i def had it up there....thanks!

Jeff

Yes, when you have the ISO set somewhere between 800 and 1600 typically (more or less), you get better shutter speed for the correct exposure, but the trade off is grain/noise. However, you can easily clean that up in PS using Filter > Noise > Reduce Noise and adjust the settings as you see fit.

My critique on this particular shot is:

1. You focused on the hair next to her temple and part of her cheek. Focus should definitely be on the eyes.
2. You are too close and there is nothing to define what you are trying to capture, other than some hair and part of a cheek. Think about composition when you shoot, and the rest will fall into place eventually.

You have the equipment, now use it to its advantage. ;) :D

Best Regards,

NJ

NJMAN, you're the best, that's exactly what i needed to read....now if i can just get her to not be angry when i take her picture :p...thank you so much!

Jeff

Most reactions

Back