First pic taken with my Nikon D90, C&C please

RichardsTPF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
#1.

DSC_0007.jpg

First outdoor pics taken with my new Nikon D90 18-200mm Len. Practice my exposure skill.
Aperture mode f11, 1/80s, iso200, 44mm
Auto WB, AF
AF-area mode: Dynamic area
Metering mode: Center weighted

Please C&C. Is it OOF? Shall I use Dynamic area mode or others? This pic is not clear to me. What would you do?

#2.
What can be improved?

DSC_0011.jpg

Last edited:
C&C per req:

1. Technically, the image is fine; the exposure is acceptable, it's focused, the horizon is leve, but what is it an image of? What/where is the subject? With respect to your question on focusing modes, read your manual. Nikon's manual provide a wealth of information and recommendations on when and for what the various modes are best suited. As for what I would have done? Probably not pressed the shutter release.

2. This appears to be a neat little toy helicopter sitting on a badly scarred counter-top. There are depth-of-field issues, expsoure and lighting issues. What was your intent with this image?

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Thank you for your reply.
1. I took this shot at 8pm. I try to get warm and gold feeling. May be I should work on the WB? I haven't finish reading my manual yet (only finished half of it). I want to compare the difference effect of each AF mode at landscape. There might be some answer in the other half of the book.
2. Practice A, S and M exposure mode. Try to see the blur effect and sharpness at long focal.
130mm, f5.6, iso200, 0.3s, manual
What is wrong with the depth-of-field issues, expsoure and lighting? Any suggestion?

The 18-200 Nikon vrII lens has dynamic aperture .. i don't find it a very good lens when you want to change the DoF as you're limited to the aperture.

#1 - technically the picture is ok. But as tirederon said, it's a boring picture. My eyes are wondering around finding the subject.

#2 - playing with shutter priority mode on a static toy probably isn't the best thing to practice on. Try a moving subject, cars, children, people. For practice on focal lengths and blur effects (bokeh), i'd use two objects. I practiced with a soda can and a beer bottle in the background.

The D90 is a good camera.. i have one. Enjoy it :)

Thank you for the link. It's very helpful. I like the way you did to the background. But it also fades the yellow color. May be increase the contrast?

Under exposure increases color saturation. Correcting the under exposure and the white balance decreased the saturation.

I had to edit what you posted, a JPEG. JPEG only has an 8-bit color depth, and the original was made with the camera set to the wrong, or auto, white balance.

I set at auto WB when taking the pic. Do you mean there would be more options/better way to edit the pic if I used raw file?
I should learn some PS skills.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back