First pic up

oana_crystyna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, this is my first pic up on this forum.

Feel free to express your true feelings :)

It has nice balance, but I feel like it needs to be more grounded. To me, it feels like an image on a slow website...and I'm waiting for the lower part to load.

I really like the photo. The contrasty angels + epic clouds work for it. But like Mike said I think it needs the more image on the lower half.

Whenever you are in this beautiful area again, bring a 10 stop ND filter for a longer exposure during the day.

I kind of like the busy scene

You could have tried going in tighter and framing one angel statue, perhaps the one on the left, slightly off-center with that beautiful cloud as a background.

Do you do any post processing of your photos? If so, why not try to recover some details from the shadows by adjusting 'shadows/highlights'. Otherwise, good shot. It's a bit wide for me maybe also, I would be tempted on separating the subjects into two separate photos.

Thank you for your feedback.

FanBoy, I also have shots with each angel, they were really impressive.

I guess you went for a nice, clean symmetrical composition. But if there is a large empty space between elements the composition sometimes falls apart. I would have concentrated on one statue with another one on the background, reduse the sky - it will give you less headace with the exposure - and look for interesting characters around, close to the statue. The photo of a monument is usually dull and boring to me unless a photographer applies some amazing effect ( and this path is also dodgy), but when you add an interesting charater it is a completely different kind of shot and will make it a unique one. Anyone can come and shoot these statues, but that man or woman will be gone. I see that guy in red/black shirt selling something might be such character. It would need a lower view and a different angle methinks.. but basically, to give you some rough idea - something along these lines:

$DSC_3346_zpsb9ed209c.jpg

Your approach would also work beautigfully early morning when sun is not not thatn harsh and gives nice shadows, and tehre much less people around. Or some time just before sunset. Sun is unforgiving on your photo.
PS the more I look at it the more I think that I would have struggled there to make a truly nice shot. Too many people, too much sun, I would have surrendered and went for close-ups :lol:

Last edited:
This is the original photo:

I can see why you cropped off the bottom.
This is a good example of when patience and perseverance can be good traits for a photographer. To get the best shot of this scene, you would likely have to show up when there are no people...at as few as possible. Also, you might get better light at a different time of day...likely early morning or late evening.

But the wider scene, with all the people, does have it's own charm. The shadows on the people are a bit dark though.

I like the photo with the people. All that fluid human activity juxtaposed against the stone statutes produces a very satisfying contrast.

Mike, sashbar and CptNaplam all noted the harsh light and strong shadows. Taking photos in direct sun is fine, but you've got trouble if the sun is shining toward you. Look at the young man in the the white tee shirt in the middle of your photo. You can see his shadow on the street. It falls to his right but also toward you and so technically your scene is backlit. Backlighting increases the scene contrast beyond the point where the software in your camera can successfully process the image and you typically get:

1. Blown highlights if the camera exposes for the backlit subject, or
2. Blocked up black shadows if the camera exposes for the backlight, or
3. A mix of both if the camera tries an exposure compromise (which is what you got).

All three of those above results are bad. So you're faced with a choice of bad, bad or bad -- unless you see the situation first and intervene.

The best intervention is to alter the lighting with flash which in this case is impractical.

Next is to alter the lighting by waiting and in the meantime go do something profitable. If you're going to rely on the software in your camera then this is your only real option.

A final option which is least satisfactory but may be your only choice is to intervene with post processing. To do this and get the best result you want to bypass the software in the camera and save the camera raw file. The camera JPEG will show a lot of damage if you try and push it very far. Here's an idea of what could have been done with that scene in post processing. If the raw file were available a much better job would be possible.

Joe

$angels.jpg

Thank you all for your suggestions. I know I have a lot to learn and your help is priceless.

The picture was taken to a quick trip to Rome and as much as I wanted, I couldn't spent enough time there.

I do have the raw file as this is the way I shoot, so I will do my best to apply your suggestions and see what happens.

Most reactions

Back