first pics

nolanator

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so i basically got my first camera a few hours ago (rebel xs) and i just decided to try things out and mess with the ap. value. someone on another forum was interested in a product i was selling and asked for a picture, so i sent him this first pic, which he really liked. i'm sure he isn't a connoisseur of photography or anything, but it's nice to be able to sell a product with a picture:mrgreen:.
IMG_3665.jpg

i also found a bottle cap...lol
IMG_3656.jpg

Actually what I was trying to get at is these look like test shots and it's hard to give C&C on test shots because you take test shots just to see if your camera works okay. Not much thought goes into test shots.

Is there a black smudge next to that metal thing ?

The white balance is off in the first pic giving the image a yellow hue. It's also quite soft, I would sharpen it. That, and the camera is tilted to the left, I would rotate it right a little bit. Like this:

IMG_3665.jpg

Keep on trying! Read up on composition and post up some interesting shots of objects or things that you want CC on which will help in helping you take better pictures.

The white balance is off in the first pic giving the image a yellow hue. It's also quite soft, I would sharpen it. That, and the camera is tilted to the left, I would rotate it right a little bit. Like this:
thanks for the tips. that kinda appears overexposed to me. the yellow hue is actually the color my lamp in the livingroom puts out.

ah i gotta go read the manual again and figure how to work on all this.

Thats a great start, the manual.

Also check online about the triad in exposure - shutter, aperture and ISO. Or read Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson...awesome awesome book for a beginner.

thanks for the tips. that kinda appears overexposed to me. the yellow hue is actually the color my lamp in the livingroom puts out.

I would doubt your lamp is throwing that yellow of light. I've never seen a regular household light bulb that has such a yellow cast. I have seen outdoor anti-bug lights which have such a yellow hue. Unless you have a bug bulb in your house, I'm going to say the white balance is off.

If you shoot in RAW, white balance can easily be corrected without losing image quality. Heck, I even corrected it with your JPG and it looks ok. But it's best to try and get it right in camera. Chances are you had your camera set to AWB (auto white balance) and this is a common problem with cameras - they don't always guess the right setting.

I would doubt your lamp is throwing that yellow of light. I've never seen a regular household light bulb that has such a yellow cast. I have seen outdoor anti-bug lights which have such a yellow hue. Unless you have a bug bulb in your house, I'm going to say the white balance is off.

If you shoot in RAW, white balance can easily be corrected without losing image quality. Heck, I even corrected it with your JPG and it looks ok. But it's best to try and get it right in camera. Chances are you had your camera set to AWB (auto white balance) and this is a common problem with cameras - they don't always guess the right setting.

its the lamp shade we have. i'm going to mess with some manual options and see if i come up with something interesting.

its the lamp shade we have. i'm going to mess with some manual options and see if i come up with something interesting.
As you can see in the corrected image I posted there is a yellow tint near the lamp, that's to be expected due to the shade. But as you progress in your photography, you'll learn to notice WB issues.

WB is something you'll have to set each time you shoot something different. It's normal to have to make adjustments, just learn to spot the tell-tale signs of WB issues so you can fire a test shot, make the change and start shooting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back