first portrait, c&c please!

echoyjeff222

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

Decided to plunge in and learn some portrait photography. Asked a friend to model for me and shot at sunset (still super hot, though). Was hoping for some feedback. This is the uncropped version. I'm looking to crop it a little bit, but not 100% sure how yet. Thoughts?

My own thoughts: even though it is a back/sidelit shot with the sunset, maybe i could have made it so that the highlights weren't burned out? I would have needed a flash/reflector in that case, though, which I don't have. I don't have any equipment at the moment besides my camera and some lenses!

Thanks for any feedback.

IMG_4379-Edit by Jeffrey Lee, on Flickr

The hair is blown out a little but I don't mind that. It's really to me a very nice shot for starting out.

As for cropping, I would change to 8x10 and do it this way.

19866631585_f9eae22122_z.jpg

Yes, a white reflector would have really lightened up the shadowed side. The hair blowing out is unfortunate, but not the end of the world. The OOF bokeh balls of the grass strand that overlays her arm is a nifty little detail. The scene is a really NICE one for a portrait at sunset!

As far as holding the shadow side detail in the face and not blowing out the hair...well, that is a wide dynamic range....maybe you could do it in RAW capture mode with just exactly the right exposure. Also, do you have software that can do Highlight Recovery from RAW images?

The alternative is to go wayyyyy hot on the background, and allow the highlights and background lighted areas to go really,really "hot", which is another look entirely.

Thanks for the feedback. Nice crop!

Yes, a white reflector would have really lightened up the shadowed side. The hair blowing out is unfortunate, but not the end of the world. The OOF bokeh balls of the grass strand that overlays her arm is a nifty little detail. The scene is a really NICE one for a portrait at sunset!

As far as holding the shadow side detail in the face and not blowing out the hair...well, that is a wide dynamic range....maybe you could do it in RAW capture mode with just exactly the right exposure. Also, do you have software that can do Highlight Recovery from RAW images?

The alternative is to go wayyyyy hot on the background, and allow the highlights and background lighted areas to go really,really "hot", which is another look entirely.

What's the best way to blow out the background?

As for recovering the highlights, I tried burning over it and it made no difference :p So for next time, using a reflector or flash would possibly prevent the blowing out? Or is it inevitable considering it's a sunset, backlit shot?

The easiest way to blow out the background is to spot meter and expose for the darkest part of the model.

Here's a good video for you to watch.

The easiest way to blow out the background is to spot meter and expose for the darkest part of the model.

Here's a good video for you to watch.

Thanks -- I actually do know how to do it in camera, but I thought Derrel was meaning in PP

This is the uncropped version. I'm looking to crop it a little bit, but not 100% sure how yet. Thoughts?
The crop is perfect as it is. Don't do any more cropping on this.

A teensy bit of fill flash or reflector on the near side would be perfect.

Her arm looks disproportionately large for her head and torso. Could be the pose with it held partially behind her back. Details such as this can be cause for negative criticism by veteran posters here.

Amazing first portrait. Would like to see more intensity in her expression.
For future shots, consider a strapless bra. Also there's a loose thread behind her

Most reactions

New Topics

Back