first portrait picute ever (for photo project too please c&c)

iPhoto17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
DSC_0171.jpg

this is my first attempt at a portrait taken in a very dark room using 2 spot lamps, this is the best one that came out of about 50 pictures taken, i have a halogen light that i havnt used yet if this one is good enough to submit.

how were the lights set up?
looks like at least one was hitting the subject from straight on, or slightly camera left. did the on cam flash pop as well?

whats the project? what did you need to accomplish with the image?

shooting on a less reflective BG will reduce the hot spot, as would placing the lights further to each side of the subject.

looks like the eyes are a bit soft, which is where one usually focuses on a portrait.

C&C per req:

Given the circumstances, it's not bad at all. A couple of thoughts for future improvement: Move your subject much further from the background if possible, if strobes and/or speedlights are not an option at least use diffusers on you light sources, something as simple as a plastic milk bottle will provide a much more diffuse, softer light, and eliminate the hard shadow image right.

If possible, try and raise your light source a little bit to get the catchlights out of the centre of the eye.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

how were the lights set up?
looks like at least one was hitting the subject from straight on, or slightly camera left. did the on cam flash pop as well?

whats the project? what did you need to accomplish with the image?

shooting on a less reflective BG will reduce the hot spot, as would placing the lights further to each side of the subject.

looks like the eyes are a bit soft, which is where one usually focuses on a portrait.
one light was straight on and another slightly camera left like you said, and yes i used the pop up flash to get rid of some shadows and adjusted aperture and shutter speed accordingly, the project was just to take a portrait in a flattering light it can be a headshot, full body or waste up.

i have to say i am pretty pleased with the result, but he went back to new york so i wont be able to try with him again

C&C per req:

Given the circumstances, it's not bad at all. A couple of thoughts for future improvement: Move your subject much further from the background if possible, if strobes and/or speedlights are not an option at least use diffusers on you light sources, something as simple as a plastic milk bottle will provide a much more diffuse, softer light, and eliminate the hard shadow image right.

If possible, try and raise your light source a little bit to get the catchlights out of the centre of the eye.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John
so thats how you get rid of the light in the eyes? i should try again with a different subject since hes not visiting anyway, i htink this picture would work well as the portrait submission i need, i could always work on imroving on my work as well

I like to have my front light 1- or 2- stops darker than the side and/or hairlights. It looks to me like your front light is at least equal to the side light.

I like to have my front light 1- or 2- stops darker than the side and/or hairlights. It looks to me like your front light is at least equal to the side light.
yeah, they were pretty much the same brightness, i was trying to fill in shadows, which worked, im sure this halogen light i just got will help a lot.

and one more thing, can any of you give tips on shooting still life? i have to shoot a still life for my final project using indoor lighting, any kind i want, (spot lamps, halogens, normal lighting conditions etc etc) thanks again

so thats how you get rid of the light in the eyes?

You don't want to get rid of it, you want to move it out of the centre and a little more to the edge of the iris. Eyes without any catchlight at all tend to look rather dull and lifeless.

so thats how you get rid of the light in the eyes?

You don't want to get rid of it, you want to move it out of the centre and a little more to the edge of the iris. Eyes without any catchlight at all tend to look rather dull and lifeless.
another thing is that when i print out the pictures the colors end up coming out better than they look on the computer, so ill print it out, write up my artist statement, i went around work and my facebook asking people to help me with this and everyone seems to be camera shy or they think its creepy that i want them to come over to have their picture taken

so i pretty much settled on using this photo to submit for my portrait project

Most reactions

Back