First post -- be gentle :)

Photogrook

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone -- I am new to the photography world. I am in the process of buying a camera and a lens. I will be taking inside sports photos such as basketball, volleyball, wrestling, etc and outside photos during daylight hours and at night ...

I was told I needed this lens:
Canon's 70~200mm f/2.8L lens .... I purchased it -- My question is this --

That lens obviously cost me some good cash and I wanted to know if I could save some money when I buy the camera? Which cameras work with this lens and which one would you guys suggest? I am on a budget and I stretched it with the lens.

Thanks so much! :D

Hang on. You bought that lens, BEFORE buying the camera? And yes, that lens will do will with indoor sports.

Check out the introduction forum to! Seeing as how your new. Welcome to the forum.

So, you've bought this lens with out buying a camera first?

All Canon DSLR's will work with this lens. IMO you should of bought the camera first. You made a good choice with the 2.8L lens. It's not what camera will work best with this lens as they all will work well it's how much you have left to spend on a camera.

yes, I bought the lens first .... I was told it was the lens that mattered most and I knew I would buy canon products .... If my budget for a camera is less than $500, which camera is best? less than $1,000?

thanks a lot for helping me out -- I really appreciate it

+1 on the XTi or XSi. Get the XSi if you can afford it. BTW good choice on the lens. If you ever decide to upgrade to a full frame camera that lens can go with you.

+1 on the XTi or XSi. Get the XSi if you can afford it. BTW good choice on the lens. If you ever decide to upgrade to a full frame camera that lens can go with you.

Sorry to jump in on this and change subjects... Dave, how do you like your Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM? I'm looking to get something wider than my Canon 16-35 f2.8. If I get the Sigma will it be a true 10 mm? Sometimes I get a bit confused on the fact I'm shooting full-frame and which lenses are true to their size. I've looked at the Canons but can't justify the $$

Last edited:
It's a great lens. I bought it for my vacation last June in Az and Ut and shot over 800 shots with it there. Very sharp and great value for the price.

I would suggest a used 40D also, or the xsi not the xti, the xsi has the digic III and a better cmos sensor. Lower noise and better feel. Thats what I read in all the mags anyways. grats on the lens, been drooling over that one for a while now.

Hey bud. I have a feeling we were on the same position/cash when buying the camera/lens. I gave it a week before buying and went to a local shop and had some tests with:

50D, 450D and around 7 lens. I gave the guy some tip to have patience and to allow me enough time to switch and test cameras, lens etc. My main concern was who will win between: 70-200 F2.8 L IS USM vs 70-200 F4 L IS USM. Both are great lens, but worth the cash but in the end i took F4 mainly due to the weight of the F2.8. As wide i've took 17-55 f/2.8 is usm which is great also and 50D.

Good luck on your journey!

wow...

I don't know if I've ever seen anyone buy an accessory before the primary item is purchased before. Wild.

Well, it's a nice lens. Enjoy it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back