Photos OK to edit
Have at em... This is kinda nerve-wracking... My first C&C....:(

SamDumpTruck2.jpg

SamTractor.jpg

SamIckyFace.jpg

AM I HOPELESS? LOL!

I wouldn't say hopeless, but you have work ahead of you. :thumbup:

Here's what's going on (that I see):

#1: Turn him into the light. See the deep shadow on the left of his face? It ruins the fun mood of the shot. Also, be careful not to clip off the corner of the truck. It's part of your subject.

#2: Better lighting on the subject, but the sky is blown (over exposed to the point of no return). There's two ways you can fix that. Either use a flash to bring up the exposure on the boy which will in turn bring down the exposure on the sky (because you'll be shooting at a faster shutter speed), or wait until later in the evening (about an hour or two before sunset, early morning works, too.) The other issue with this shot is you missed the focus. It's focused on the steering wheel of the tractor when it should be on the boys face. I like the composition and subject matter. Cute setup.

#3: A little fill light would help, as would a larger f/# (say f/8-11) so his hand would be in focus, too. Your eyes are drawn to his hand because they follow his line of sight and the line of his arm. So it's important that the secondary subject of his hand also be in focus.

Good first attempts! You might want to read up on the "exposure triangle" (google it). You have a pretty good eye for composition, but you might google "photography composition" so you'll understand why your composition works.

Keep practicing and posting and welcome to the photo forum!

SamDumpTruck2.jpg

SamTractor.jpg

SamIckyFace.jpg

AM I HOPELESS? LOL!

First of all kids do not comply with the wishes of photographers so you had better be at the ready and get the shot while the getting is good.

I have examined the photos and have found that you nailed composition dead center a bulls eye. The only real question here in my mind is how well did you set the stage in terms of you being ready technically? The reults are basically faultless in terms of emotion, action, spirit. ie. composition. So what about the preset technical matters of exposure settings focus, flash etc? My answer is that I don't care to even speculate because there are just fine to me and I don't need to pick them apart for improvement. Well done.

SamDumpTruck2.jpg

SamTractor.jpg

SamIckyFace.jpg

AM I HOPELESS? LOL!

First of all kids do not comply with the wishes of photographers so you had better be at the ready and get the shot while the getting is good.

I have examined the photos and have found that you nailed composition dead center a bulls eye. The only real question here in my mind is how well did you set the stage in terms of you being ready technically? The reults are basically faultless in terms of emotion, action, spirit. ie. composition. So what about the preset technical matters of exposure settings focus, flash etc? My answer is that I don't care to even speculate because there are just fine to me and I don't need to pick them apart for improvement. Well done.

When replying to the OP's original thoughts, quoting the entire post is not necessary. :mrgreen:

SamDumpTruck2.jpg

SamTractor.jpg

SamIckyFace.jpg

AM I HOPELESS? LOL!

There is only one person on this site that is hopeless and good news... It's not you (you know who you are)! Mind telling us what camera you are using and what, if any, post processing software you have?

Last edited:
When replying to the OP's original thoughts, quoting the entire post is not necessary. :mrgreen:

Lawls. So that's why you did it twice, right?

I have a Nikon D3000 with the standard lens and a Tamron 28-300mm lens. I used Elements 8 for editing, but I'm a complete newb so i don't know all the cool stuff:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back