First post here - first studio gig - JADE

fotoflo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm new to this forum.
I am a writer and photographer from New York living in Beijing. This is my first studio gig - so i charged a little extra and went out and baught a light and some fabrics and did the shots for the client. I've posted one picture here and a link to more. What do you guys think? Whats good? Whats bad? How could i do better in the future?

link: http://www.alphagram.com/alex/Jade/

picture:

P1100543.jpg

Well without knowing the client or application it just an opinion. Seem to me lighting need to more even and softer, also what about contrast between the subject and background, in this one they seem to be running together, personally I like # p1100521 and few of the other better

Maybe some one better at light will level some more advice

This picture doesn't tell me anything about the subject. It's dark and obscure, almost abstract. If I were the client, I would say no to this one. I looked at the others you have in your gallery, and they look much better. You should offer up one or two of those for critique.

Perhaps something like this:

P1100567.jpg

This is on the right track I think. At least I can see the whole subject, and get a sense of what it is. I think you need to do more in "selling" the product though. What is it? Jewelry? A trinket? Is it part of a necklace? Let me see someone model it.

Sorry, I didnt say what the client was: its an investment capital firm called Jadite Capital (hence the jade.) and they want an image, or maybe two or three, to use in their presentations and other materials

I think youre right (jeff) about the harshness of the lighting. I used a 85 watt florecent in a "box" thing, but the glare is still very harsh. any suggestion on how to soften it? the jade was very shiny and the only way i found that i could get it not to glare was to put it on top of the box and photograph it see files p...64 and 95. but then the peice lost all depth and also, had to be photographed on a white background... any thoughts?

fotoflo said:
I think youre right (jeff) about the harshness of the lighting. I used a 85 watt florecent in a "box" thing, but the glare is still very harsh. any suggestion on how to soften it?

Get a softbox, and a strobe. Are you shooting digital or film? The color temp seems a bit cold on these, which makes sense if you are using a flourescent lamp. The color seems a bit cyan, and it looks clumpy in certain parts, like you've lost detail.

my 'florecent in a "box" thing' (sic) is a softbox, but its only about 18in square. i think maybe i should have gotten a round one. Im shooting digital on this project, but i shoot a lot of film as well.

why would i want to use a strobe instead of a light thats "always on" ?

thanks for your comments

I thought you were just using a flourescent shoplight or something. I mentioned strobe because if you were shooting daylight film, you wouldn't have to make any corrections in color balance. You might want to build a light tent for this. Setting the jade on top of the light source is not a bad idea for a white background, but you need to reflect light back on it. It's too dark. It really needs more exposure to pop. Those two frames you mentioned are very bluish / cyan. You really need accurate color rendition here.

fotoflo said:
Sorry, I didnt say what the client was: its an investment capital firm called Jadite Capital (hence the jade.) and they want an image, or maybe two or three, to use in their presentations and other materials

That sounds like a very UNspecific brief. Not much to go on. Don't they have sketch designs of how they want to apply it? That might show you what visual angle, what kind of lighting and what kind of background is needed. For instance, for some printing materials it may be neccessary to be able to mask out the background. You don't know that kind of thing now, so you can't take it into consideration when setting up your shot(s).
I'd ask for a much more specific brief. If at all possible supported by sketch designs. Surely your client has got an advertising or PR agency or (graphic) studio that can provide that?

Most reactions

Back