First Post With Some Pics

TheQuisto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. After lurking in the forums here for a few months and getting some great info I've finally got my first DSLR, a Nikon D40. I'd have to say I love the camera, but I definitely need some practice. Here are a few of my photos, please give me some feedback.

2468126627_336759cd36.jpg

2468125679_350c591ca8.jpg

2468123421_6d424e014b.jpg

2468947774_1deffe9d1d.jpg

you copied the wrong code - that is the html code there - you want the image code
it has [ img ] [ /img ]at each end

#1 is nice, but in #2, i just don't feel anything.. if i were you, i'll go futher up close for #3

ahh there they are!
I think 1 is definatly a good shot - and the shade in that area makes it easier to get the longer exposure to get that misty water - is 2 a crop of 1 or a separate shot? If its separate then - to me - its like 3 and 4; technically good, but laking in anything interesting to get the attention of the viewer.

For 2 I would move back a little and possible crop vertically.
For 3 I would get much closer to the flower and try to get an angle that is not simply looking down at it (the angle we mostly see if from when walking past
For 4 I think you need more bridge -try getting the whole thing in, but using a similar or sharper angle to the bridge

Technically good - now its time to start getting the artists eye ;)

The only thing I would change is #2, and that would be to take it holding the camera vertically instead of horizontally... That way you get the whole waterfall while not distracting the viewer with all the lush greens around it. I like the shutter speed on them, it really softened up the water.

Very nice photos! :) Could you post the shot settings used for #1 and #2? There's somebody else here who wants to do some daytime waterfall shots, so if you shared your info it'd help them out.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think the 'artist eye' is going to be the thing I struggle with the most as I'm not a very artistic person, but I'll keep at it.

Mav, I don't know the settings I used for the waterfall off the top of my head other than a longer shutter speed and small aperture. I can get the exact settings later on and post them up.

A lot of interesting shots are simply taken from different angles than those which we normaly look at.
Take the flower, getting closer adds a lot, but so to does taking a shot of the side or at an angle. Best thing is to get out there and spend some hours just trying differnent angles then getting them up on the PC screen and seeing how they look
You clearly have the technical side under control!

Thanks. Yea, it's the 18-55mm kit lens that comes with the D40.

Were any/all edited in photoshop?

the clarity in number 2 is crazy.

Yea, I did some work in Photoshop. I'm sort of learning my way around in Photoshop right now. On all four I used the 'Auto Levels/Contrast/Colors'. #1 & #2 I believe I applied a warming filter as well. And #4 I had to use a noise filter because I think I accidentally used to high of an ISO.

Most reactions

Back