First posting of pictures :)

acaldwell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. I have spoken with a few of you privately, but I think I am ready to handle the criticism now! I am putting a link on here to a temporary site I have made with my first four shoots after getting my dslr. I hope to practice practice practice and eventually open a business of my own.
Please give me lots of tips! I don't have any lighting equipment and am very interested in any information that can be offered as far as a good starting point (books, websites, or personal information you have). This site is such a wonderful help to me and I thank you all for being so helpful, and really honest. ;)

http://gallery.mac.com/abbyleecaldwell/100042
(I am at work and don't have files to post directly, sorry).

should i do something differently, i notice ppl are looking at my thread but not responding. YIKES!

You will get more responses if you actually post the image here on the forum.

Also, it's usually easier to comment on a few photos rather than a whole gallery.

hi abby lee, i tried to look, but the gallery took several minutes to load on my computer so gave up - have to get the kids ready for school now so time is limited. i agree with mike though, attatch the images directly and you should get some comments. x

ok, i will do that when i get in from class late this evening. thanks for the help once again

Abbey, it wouldn't load on my computer either and we have a smokin' connection here at work. Can't wait to see you load them so we can take a look. :)

Hi Abbey, I just had a look at your images and I think some of them are GREAT! My criticisms would be to watch your posing in some of them, one in particular stands out, of mum and dad and bub on the stairs and you have a full shot with 'legs everywhere'. Just try and tidy these things up and I also think you desperately need some fill flash in some of your shots, to rid any shadows in eye sockets, and to turn some of the images from nice to WOW! Keep up the good work, I think you have some really great ideas. Cheers Jodie (BOUNCE!) XXX

go to the pictures and right click and go to "view image".
Then enclose that url in

That will make it so you can post them here.

I liked a few of your shots, but it's hard to refer to them since there's so many and they aren't easily numbered.

Good start.

thank you very much traveler. i am still trying to find time to post a couple on here. i got a photobucket account, but for some reason my work computer is not cooperating with that site. at home, evenings have been hectic so i will try to get some up soon. i really appreciate you taking the time to look, even though i know its not convenient to go to the site itself.

Bounce... i agree about the stairs, too much legs (and hairy ones at that - gross)! thanks for pointing that out. someone else mentioned that as well. i went back and deleted the really bad ones :) also, i am looking into buying a flash as i just have the one built in on my camera. that is definately something i will work on quickly! i have been recommended the canon 580 or 430 EX (i have a rebel xti) and gary fong accessories. we'll see how that works when i get the money to purchase the items.

i'll be practicing this weekend and editing some from last weekend and trying to put some tips i've learned recently into practice. thanks to all who have given such great advice. don't give up on me yet!

I think your work is really good. A couple of things to keep in mind is that its better to post a short series or a few particular shots directly on the forum, and also (as some have already mentioned), some of your photos are too dark. Some need overall brightening, and others just need a fill flash or reflector. Other than that, your composition is excellent. Great start! :thumbup:

NJ

usher - i like to .mac accounts. i just purchased my new imac and have been enjoying all the benefits of a trial period right now. i'm sure i'll purchase it and continue to use the service. check them out!

NJ - thanks for the encouragement. brightening will be in the works as well as other tips. (i thought they looked too bright on my computer, but i guess i was wrong since most agree on that issue - hopefully its my computer and not me - computers might be easier to fix...lol). also, i have realized that posting directly is better! working on that too as it seems many more critique when it is right here.

good books/websites on using flash and reflectors properly? anyone?

thanks all... this place is a wonderful place to learn

Most reactions

Back