Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's my first practice with the backdrop!!!!!! :)

Still working on getting the lighting right, but I'll get there! :)

Kittyonstool.jpg

That looks GREAT! How did you end up setting everything up? I like your choice of background colors, what did you use?

Well, I used the natural light coming in from the L. room window, and the two shop lights I already had, only I had one on the backdrop, and one pointed into a reflector (the reflector is a shiny silver thing that you put in your windshield to keep your car from getting hot)...but I'm gonna do something different for the reflector...I'm going to use white posterboard...I'll pick it up when I go to work tommorrow. :)

Oh...and for the background I used muslin and dyed it with Rit...made my own color cuz they don't have a dark gray...it still didn't turn out as dark as I wanted it, but I like it anyway.

Looks awesome. You did a great job with that backdrop, now it's uniquely yours!! :)

Your cat is the most cooperative little kitty I've ever seen. She really likes whatever it is you're holding over her head, you're good at keeping her interested! :thumbup:

terri said:
Looks awesome. You did a great job with that backdrop, now it's uniquely yours!! :)

Your cat is the most cooperative little kitty I've ever seen. She really likes whatever it is you're holding over her head, you're good at keeping her interested! :thumbup:

Cooperative? MY cat?? HA! Nope...she wasn't on that stool for long. My boyfriend was holding a fishing pole style cat toy over her head...a second or two after I snapped this, she jumped! :) I have tried doing my little photoshoots with her on my own, but it doesn't work. She loves Erik...she does things for him..but for me she does the opposite of what I want! :)

but for me she does the opposite of what I want!

Now that sounds more like MY cat!! :lol: Unless she's practically asleep, I've gotten no photos of her!

Ok...here's one with a human subject. My boyfriend! :) No critiqueing the pose, cuz I wasn't posing him...just testing the lighting...can't wait to test it after using the posterboard instead of the shiny reflector. :)

ErikPractice.jpg

Can I just say again that I love that backdrop? You did an awesome job. I think your lighting will work well, too and that the posterboard will give a softer look. Awesome, Corry :thumbsup:

Thanks Alison! :) I was worried about how it would turn out...I wanted a dark gray, but Rit doesn't make a dark gray...plus I didn't want it a solid color, but I'd never dyed fabric before, so I was just really nervous about it! :) I think I'm gonna like it though! And the best part is...it's about a $38 backdrop including the dye...all the backgrounds I found on the internet were at least $300!

Hey I have those same socks :lmao:

Looks good! Now you have me thinking about making some "homemade" backdrops :mrgreen: The wife will love this :blushing:

I have those socks too :)

Really well done with the backdrop Corry...good job. You have me wanting to make one now. I work for an industrial fabric company so you would think I could rig something up.

Canon Fan said:
Hey I have those same socks :lmao:

Looks good! Now you have me thinking about making some "homemade" backdrops :mrgreen: The wife will love this :blushing:

I can tell you exactly how I did it!!! I went to JoAnne Fabrics and got 10x20' of bleached muslin...it was about $30. Then, also at JoAnne's, I got 4 $1.99 packages of Rit Fabric Dye...two pearl grey, and two black...only ended up using one of the black ones though...We used a large plastic trash can (never been used, obviously!) to dye it in, and I did not stir it constantly, like it said to do, because I didn't want a uniform color. And that was basically it. Oh...to hang it...I used two curtain hangers things...those hook type things that kinda swoop down in a J shape, and a 12' fir handrail from Menards (about $12 for it!)...I sewed a loop in one of the 10' lengths of the fabric so I could just slide it onto the handrail and set the handrail on top of the J hooks...when I get a chance I'll try and take a picture of it all and post it up...just waaaay to busy right now! :)

You're doing great! Love the backdrop idea, and you saved yourself tons of $$. Nothing better than having a DIY idea that actually works. :thumbup:

So far your lighting looks really good, too, maybe just getting a tad harsh midway down (shoulder and forearm). But since you're going to change reflectors, you're definitely moving in the right direction! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back