First Prime Lens on Crop Body: 35mm a good choice?

PaulWog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I picked up a Nikon D5200 + 16-85mm VR Nikon lens the other day.

I'm still new to photography, and I can't even say how the 16-85mm pair has worked out yet (though the wide end and furthest zoomed end seem to be a workable focal range).

I'm looking at the 35mm as my walk-around prime lens to learn on. I would possibly get the 50mm as well later, however anything like the 20mm prime or 85mm prime end up fitting into way too high of a price-bracket to make sense.

So the comparison is between the 35mm 1.8G, and the 50mm 1.8G. Both are on sale for $220 each. I don't think I can justify picking up both at the same time, considering I want to go out and get a Tamron 70-300mm at some point when it hits a sale down to $450 or lower locally. I also can't justify the price simply because I only know what I've researched, and so I need to really work on my photography skills to get the most out of my gear first.

... and so I need to really work on my photography skills to get the most out of my gear first.

All of the focal lengths you mentioned are covered by that 16-85 zoom. If you want to pretend you have a prime, put a piece of tape over the zoom ring so it won't turn and leave it there for a day or two.

Work on your photography. Determine for yourself what you need. Use your zoom and take note of where you spend the most time shooting it. Take note of whether or not you wish you had more or less focal length. These are questions that YOU need to answer, not us.

... and so I need to really work on my photography skills to get the most out of my gear first.

All of the focal lengths you mentioned are covered by that 16-85 zoom. If you want to pretend you have a prime, put a piece of tape over the zoom ring so it won't turn and leave it there for a day or two.

Work on your photography. Determine for yourself what you need. Use your zoom and take note of where you spend the most time shooting it. Take note of whether or not you wish you had more or less focal length. These are questions that YOU need to answer, not us.
^^^^^what he wrote^^^^^

I had the 16-85 on a D5100. It was by far the best walk around ever. my 35mm sat in the bag.

Most reactions

Back