First Prime Lens

canontb81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I currently own a Nikon D7000 and the 18-105 lens. I have taken quite a few pictures over the last year with this combo and recently borrrowed my friend's 50mm 1.8D and now I want a prime lens. I now want to purchase a prime lens to use for photographing people outside. I want something better than the 50mm 1.8D and read a lot of good opinions on the 35mm 1.8G.

My plan is to eventually turn my long time hobby into a small side business but I want to learn a lot more and develop a portfolio before I think about asking people to pay for what I do.

Does anyone own it the 35mm 1.8 G or have any opinions? Would anyone recommend anything else?

Thanks.

The big problem you get with a 35mm is that you have perspective distortion to consider. That is when you have areas of the subject closer to the camera which get enlarged over those further away. Telephoto lenses (50mm or longer is generally where they start) this problem is minimal to non-existent; but as you go into the wide angle lenses it becomes more of a problem, esp when you're working up close for things like portraits.

35mm can be very attractive, esp if you're shooting on a crop sensor body as its short enough to work indoors fairly well without having you backed up a long way. That said even though you are shooting on crop sensor it will still have perspective distortion. Note that the amount will vary from lens to lens (some are worse than others) and some of the problems can be corrected in software (although with any editing like this you lose overall quality from the shot to correct the problem).

A 50mm f1.4 might be a far more suitable lens to consider for portrait work. Better built and generally better quality than the average f1.8 versions and also allowing a little more light. The Sigma 50mm f1.4 is a very highly rated lens which offers a great performance and even beats the older 50mm f1.4 by Canon (I think it also beats the nikon as well but I'm not 100% sure on the nikon range).

The nikon 35mm 1.8 is an inexpensive lens, known for excessive purple fringing (CA)... that is easily corrected in post. It is not good for head and shoulder portraiture, as it introduces too much distortion at close range. It is ok for full body and group portraiture as long as you are mindful of the possible distortion if you get too close.

As Overread said, a 50mm is a great lens for portraiture... I had a D7000 and used a Sigma 50mm 1.4 a lot on it, great combo. If you have a little more room... the new Nikon 85mm 1.8 is a relatively inexpensive lens for portraiture. The Nikon 85mm 1.4 is awesome... but not cheap!

I have the 35mm f/1.8 and I love it. I have pretty much put my 18-105 away and only use the 35mm and 55-200. I post process everything so CA seems to be well controlled with LR and PS. As for portraiture, I just shoot it vertical and then crop to a portrait. No perspective problems at all.

85 mm 1.8 is the way to go for outside portraits. Hands down. I tested that lens overr the weekend and I plan on getting one this weekend.

The Nikon 85mm 1.4 is awesome...

And Expensive too!! Maybe the 85mm 1.8g will better if not wanting to spend too much money.
Define expensive.

Nikon's AF 85 mm f/1.4D is famous and is nicknamed 'The Cream Machine' for producing some of the smoothest, most pleasing 'cream cheese bokeh' available in any lens.

Nikon offers 2 - 85 mm f/1.4 lenses:
The $1170 - Nikon 85mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

And the $1674 - Nikon 85mm f/1.4G AF-S Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I was going to suggest getting a used D700 with a F1.4D 50mm(also used) and forget abut DX altogether... but the price is still quite high.

If you want this to be a long term investment, I suggest making the jump to FF in whichever way you can. Rather start now with FF than being stuck with DX lens then later make the switch, specially if portrait/street is what you want to focus on.

For photographing people outside you don't need a prime. You need a 70-200 VR II or something cheaper along those lines.

Actually, for a crop I'd recommend 50mm f/1.4

I love my 35mm f/1.8 for its sharpness. Bokeh is okay, too, though there usually isnt much. Cant see the CAs since they get autocorrected by the camera and the original Nikon software. Well, theres an option to disable the autocorrection in the Nikon software, but why would I want to do that.

There is a cheap Sigma 30mm f/1.4 which isnt that sharp but reportedly has gourgeous Bokeh. Its DX only though.

My 55-200mm f/4-5.6 is really creamy at 55mm and f/4. Need to get nice distance between the person and the background, though.

If you want to go pro on the long run, you should focus on FX lenses, though.

Most reactions

Back