First "Pro" Camera - What do you think about this setup?

Sigh. You do know that (even) a Holga is a professional camera when used by someone with both skill and talent, yes? Put an entry-level camera in the hands of a good photographer, and a "professional" camera in the hands of a beginner, and I'm pretty sure we all know which images will be the most interesting and memorable. Dang. Why do people insist on looking through the wrong end of the telescope all the time???

Is that why everything looks so gosh darn small? Geez. Man, that would have been helpful advice.. a week or two ago!

Lol

Ok, so after reading through this thread a few thoughts.

Recently I did some senior photos for a friend of a friend. They had originally hired a professional photographer who apparently shot fashion shoots for catalogs but had told them he had "opened his own studio" because he no longer wanted to do that kind of work. They hired him to take senior photo's of their daughter, and apparently it was a total train wreck. It was so bad that their daughter didn't even want to have senior photo's taken, I guess the guy went into the situation treating her like a professional model, well at least treating her like he thought a real jackass full of himself photographer would treat a professional model. Well after that the girl didn't even want to have senior pictures taken.

The parents are friends of a friend, and about a month or so ago my friend got the story from the mom, and said she should have me do the senior pictures. At first I refused but I owed my friend a favor so I finally relented, realizing that the girl wouldn't do another shoot with an actual professional I figured I might as well. So we did the photoshoot - long story short (I know, too late) Parents were happy, girl was happy, senior pictures were just what she wanted, etc etc..

Well the parents insisted on paying me for the shoot, I refused over and over again, then they conspired with my friend to purchase a new camera for me as payment. One thing led to another and since they got a little confused as to what they should buy they sent me a gift card instead. Ok, so the professional they hired didn't get the job done and didn't get paid. I got the job done and I did get paid, albiet reluctantly.

So, I did the shoot with my D5100 - since I was paid that would technically make me a pro, right? And would that not also make my D5100 then a pro body?

The professional they originally hired didn't get paid, and acted very unprofessionally. So does that make the Canon 5d Mark III an unprofessional body?

Or could it be, as Pgriz so wisely pointed out, that worrying about the "designation" of the camera body is actually rather silly, when you stop and think about it.

It is silly. Some say "oh if it doesn't have a round eye piece and a built in vertical grip it's not a pro camera" I find that to be ironic because the same people say the camera doesn't make the photo good the photographer does.

So it can't be both ways. But I don't lose much sleep over it.

Ps my friend who does lots of model work got another magazine cover. I think this is his 5th or 6th cover and he has had countless spreads. He uses a d600 and tamron lenses so there you go.

Recently I did some senior photos for a friend of a friend. They had originally hired a professional photographer who apparently shot fashion shoots for catalogs but had told them he had "opened his own studio" because he no longer wanted to do that kind of work. They hired him to take senior photo's of their daughter, and apparently it was a total train wreck. It was so bad that their daughter didn't even want to have senior photo's taken, I guess the guy went into the situation treating her like a professional model, well at least treating her like he thought a real jackass full of himself photographer would treat a professional model. Well after that the girl didn't even want to have senior pictures taken.

The parents are friends of a friend, and about a month or so ago my friend got the story from the mom, and said she should have me do the senior pictures. At first I refused but I owed my friend a favor so I finally relented, realizing that the girl wouldn't do another shoot with an actual professional I figured I might as well. So we did the photoshoot - long story short (I know, too late) Parents were happy, girl was happy, senior pictures were just what she wanted, etc etc..

Well the parents insisted on paying me for the shoot, I refused over and over again, then they conspired with my friend to purchase a new camera for me as payment. One thing led to another and since they got a little confused as to what they should buy they sent me a gift card instead. Ok, so the professional they hired didn't get the job done and didn't get paid. I got the job done and I did get paid, albiet reluctantly.

So, I did the shoot with my D5100 - since I was paid that would technically make me a pro, right? And would that not also make my D5100 then a pro body?

The professional they originally hired didn't get paid, and acted very unprofessionally. So does that make the Canon 5d Mark III an unprofessional body?

Or could it be, as Pgriz so wisely pointed out, that worrying about the "designation" of the camera body is actually rather silly, when you stop and think about it.

D5100 will never be pro, regardless of the situation. And 5DIII is a semi-pro.

So essentially, what your saying here then is that you completely missed the entire point? Lol

This bugged me so I looked up the d800 vs. the D4 and the 5d mkii vs the 1dx.

Sure enough the only massive difference was the fps. So guess having high fps is the only difference between a pro body and a beginner one.

Well r2d2 and c3po are beginners compared to J5 on Blankman.

I don't have much of a life right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lol. Seriously. Lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back