First "Pro" Camera - What do you think about this setup?

D610 = Entry level Full Frame
D800 = Pro-Consumer
D3/D3s/D4 = Professional body

Anyhow, I can't commit on Cannon and I'll avoid debating Nikon vs Canon. But what I will say is this, Always buy the best you can afford without breaking the bank.

The D800 certainly qualifies as a professional body.

Sure it is, people who make large posters use it for their profession. But it bridges the gap between professional and consumer, so you could say it is for both.

D800 = Pro-Consumer

Anyhow, I can't commit on Cannon and I'll avoid debating Nikon vs Canon. But what I will say is this, Always buy the best you can afford without breaking the bank.

I said Pro.

The D800 is like the D7100 of FX bodies to me. A lot of Pros love and use the D800 and I plan on buying one my self real soon. D3/D3s/D4 just screams Professional Bodies to me.

D800 = Pro-Consumer

I said Pro.

The D800 is like the D7100 of FX bodies to me. A lot of Pros love and use the D800 and I plan on buying one my self real soon. D3/D3s/D4 just screams Professional Bodies to me.

And tailgunners. :lol:

Gun all your targets down.

Last edited by a moderator:
D800 = Pro-Consumer

I said Pro.

Pro is short for professional.

I like pizza. Does anybody else like Pizza?

Nobody ever argues about what makes a professional pizza...

:lol:

I bet you there is a pizza forum right now where they are duking it out.

Possibly...

Honestly, on the topic of "pro vs consumer, etc" I think that there isn't a MONUMENTALLY HUGE difference with most of the cameras mention. The D610, D800, and D4 are all great bodies. Whether or not great images come from them depends on who is behind it.

I've mentioned this in another thread, but one of the wedding photographers in my area with the most awards and clientele shoots with a D300. Sure, it's considered a professional body, but I've seen the images that come SOOC and they don't really hold a candle to my D600. The D600 is rated with one of the best sensors available right now, and the D4 is even lower down the rankings list (DxOmark rankings). NOTE I haven't shot with a D4, and I only test drove the D800 in the shop. I haven't even really researched the D4 that much because spending that kind of cash would be nuts for me right now.

Possibly...

Honestly, on the topic of "pro vs consumer, etc" I think that there isn't a MONUMENTALLY HUGE difference with most of the cameras mention. The D610, D800, and D4 are all great bodies. Whether or not great images come from them depends on who is behind it.

I've mentioned this in another thread, but one of the wedding photographers in my area with the most awards and clientele shoots with a D300. Sure, it's considered a professional body, but I've seen the images that come SOOC and they don't really hold a candle to my D600. The D600 is rated with one of the best sensors available right now, and the D4 is even lower down the rankings list (DxOmark rankings). NOTE I haven't shot with a D4, and I only test drove the D800 in the shop. I haven't even really researched the D4 that much because spending that kind of cash would be nuts for me right now.

The d4 is definitely being outclassed by the d800. So it wouldn't be wise to invest in a new d4 right now, but Nikon just announced details about the d4s and the d4x is also looming in the background. These newer versions will include the new technologies that are implemented in the recently released nikon bodies. Its all a wait and see attitude for me right now and upgrading from an entry level to the top of the line will definitely be a noticeable difference for me to say the least and i'm a fish fresh out of water. :lmao:

So err you want to upgrade, and I was wondering which lenses you are going to buy, because you said you had not invested any money into lenses yet. Normally you would expect someone to get a couple of good quality FX lenses before buying a camera. :)

Sure it is, people who make large posters use it for their profession. But it bridges the gap between professional and consumer, so you could say it is for both.

I guess it's used a lot in wedding photography as well, for an amateur, I doubt the D800 should be recommend simply because it's a special kind of camera for special situations, whereas as an amateur, I would look for a camera that does all kinds of situations, something like the D700 or newer D610, so I think I would say that the D800 is mainly pro, whereas the D6XX series is what is bridging the gap at the moment. :)

Sigh. You do know that (even) a Holga is a professional camera when used by someone with both skill and talent, yes? Put an entry-level camera in the hands of a good photographer, and a "professional" camera in the hands of a beginner, and I'm pretty sure we all know which images will be the most interesting and memorable. Dang. Why do people insist on looking through the wrong end of the telescope all the time???

Sigh. You do know that (even) a Holga is a professional camera when used by someone with both skill and talent, yes? Put an entry-level camera in the hands of a good photographer, and a "professional" camera in the hands of a beginner, and I'm pretty sure we all know which images will be the most interesting and memorable. Dang. Why do people insist on looking through the wrong end of the telescope all the time???

Because it justifies their gear lust. Why else?

Whatever you do don't say this to photographer's wives, it will stop us from being allowed to buy new gear! ;)

First I would like to say these 2 cameras are full frame but are not considered pro cameras, the pro cameras are the 5DIII and D800

D800 = Pro-Consumer

god this pro/pro-sumer/etc classification is so freaking annoying. not only does it not make a lick of difference in almost any context in which it's ever brought up (it only comes up when someone wants to be extra pretentious about gear), but it's always tossed around as if it's based off of some formal classification (if there is any actual official classification by nikon it sure as hell buried down somewhere not very accessible). In the end these "facts" just seem to be based off of individual opinions. funnier still is that more often than not the only ones who deem it necessary to clarify pro vs. non-pro gear... aren't even professionals! what a joke.

also just FYI according to NPS (probably one of the few instances where a pro vs. non-pro classification serves an actual purpose) all of their full frame bodies seem to qualify as "pro" gear... http://nikonpro.com/Renewal-NPS-Equipment-List.pdf . So in the event that you really just have to be a gear dick and categorize camera models, the d600/d610 should probably technically be considered "pro".

and to the OP: if you think that dynamic range is something you can qualitatively judge by comparing already converted/processed jpgs (of different images) found on the internet, then by all means believe the 6d has better dynamic range.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back