First Professional Headshot

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. The mental health agency I work for is finally crawling into the digital millenium and putting up a website. As such, they needed some pics of some of our staff for the site and some brochures. After 2 "pros" failed to produce any photos for them, I ended up w/ the job. This is a pic of one of our psychiatrists. It will also be used for a press release announcing her as our new medical director. I've never done a headshot before for something to be used like this, so I'd appreciate some comments.

IMGP4093.jpg

IMGP4093BW.jpg

i like the colour one. A nice simple head shot thats well lit :thumbup:

first one is perfect. It's simple (even a bit boring and stiff) but somehow that's what you need for this kind of picture. These work perfect on a website and for press kits for a health care organisation. I think you did a good job. (btw: why didn't the 'pro's' deliver the pics?)

pascal

Clean, simple, well lit, looks good. I just have to ask, how could two other "pros" not take pictures like this?

This is your first head shot ever? Wow. Great job man, there's just nothing to complain about here. Well, except her choice of that jacket for a head shot. But what are you gonna do? Everyone knows shrinks are crazier than the rest of us. :D:D:D

p.s. I prefer the color one too.

Color shot is nice, converting it to B/W makes it look very flat, maybe push the contrast a little for B/W.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm not sure why it was so difficult to find a professional to do this. They just wanted some shots of our medical staff (candid) a couple of candid shots of some consumers/staff and some greenhouse plants pics (a day program) and some headshots of the new medical director. They had one guy who came out, did some shots, then called back and said he had an equipment malfunction and hence, no work to show them. Another kept bailing out b/c she couldn't get daycare for her child. Others gave other excuses. End result....I got paid for my regular job as a crisis worker, and did the photo job they wouldn't/couldn't do and got an extra $350 for it. Now I am wondering if I should invest that cash into another alien bee, a wide angle lens, or a nice tripod.

Any other comments?

Hell yes, re-invest!

Its a chant I do the few times I have been paid to do something.
Its cool for your equipment to pay for itself. Makes it almost...comical in a way.

Does that even make sense?

Hell yes, re-invest!

I'm leaning towards a wide angle since I find myself needing one more and more.

I did some wrinkle removal around her eyes and neck as part of my post process work. Do you all generally feel the subject wouldn't mind and go ahead and do it, or do you ask first? Not sure of proper etiquette.

Nice shots - perhaps just a little flat but for first time very impressive. They lack just a tad of contrast. Here's my edits.

Because of the small size and extra compression, they are posterising a little.

Color.jpg

B_W.jpg

I agree that I prefer the coloured shot... I have just been asked to shoot headshots for an orthodontist clinic... they want headshots of all the staff together (dont think there would be too many!?) with photos on disc for them to use on their website and business brochures... am actually going to post for pricing help... no idea what to quote but keen and confident none the less x

Most reactions

Back