First Purchase, Help?

Case

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I used a friends Rebel XT with some sort of Telephoto lens and the stock 18-55mm lens and got some shots of my backyard and I fell in love.

Heres what Im planning on purchasing for my first camera setup...

Canon Rebel XT with stock 18-55mm Stock lens.
2GB Compact Flash Memory card.
Canon Backpack
Canon 58mm Haze UV-1 Glass Filter

Anything else you think I should get to start off my experince right?

Lens hood? etc.

Also can anyone recomend a good macro lens for the Rebel XT that will give me some great macro shots? (link) One thats not TOO pricy, in the range of 100-250. Maybe 300.

Heres some shots I've taken recently with a friends camera (Rebel XT)

Thanks guys in advance for your help!

I love the 2nd pic but not quite sure about the 1st one... just not sure what I'm looking at.

My recommendations for early buys would be a polarizer filter, tripod and remote.

I love the 2nd pic but not quite sure about the 1st one... just not sure what I'm looking at.

My recommendations for early buys would be a polarizer filter, tripod and remote.

Ok, thanks for the kind words. Thats my favorite photo I've taken so far.

The second picture is a handle of a rake. Just for clarification.

This is the Macro lens I'm thinking about saving for.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/194451-GREY/Canon_4657A006_100mm_f_2_8_USM_Macro.html

Also does anyone have any recomendations for a general upgrade to the 18-55mm kit lens the Rebel comes with?

Thanks again!

I would consider a second battery and cf card. For those times when they may crap out or you need more shots. A flash will do wonders also. I used a soft-shield with the stock flash for a while before I got my flash. Make sure the bag will fit your current gear and anything you may want in the future. The ef 100 f/2.8 is an excellent lens. A mainstay in many photographer's kit. I personally would forego the stock lens out-right and get a better all-around lens. I started with the EF-S 17-85 kit lens. Many newer kits come with the 28-135. Both are drastically better than the 18-55, but hey, it takes pictures. :wink:

I would consider a second battery and cf card. For those times when they may crap out or you need more shots. A flash will do wonders also. I used a soft-shield with the stock flash for a while before I got my flash. Make sure the bag will fit your current gear and anything you may want in the future. The ef 100 f/2.8 is an excellent lens. A mainstay in many photographer's kit. I personally would forego the stock lens out-right and get a better all-around lens. I started with the EF-S 17-85 kit lens. Many newer kits come with the 28-135. Both are drastically better than the 18-55, but hey, it takes pictures. :wink:

I plan to first upgrade from the kit 18-55 to the 28-135 lens pretty soon after I get the camera. But hows the Normal EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro Autofocus Lens for a Macro lens? Would you recomend this lens over the EF-100 F/2.8?

Because I want to get shots of insects/butterflys and flowers and such, but not have to get so close to the subject (scare it) so I am worried the 60mm might be to short of a zoom. What are you thoughts on the Normal EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro Autofocus Lens VS the EF-100 F/2.8?

Thanks again!

I chose the 60mm because the image quality is slightly better. Both lenses are outstanding, but i felt the 60 had a tad more resolution than the 100 when I tested both lenses. You can also zoom in a lot closer with the 60 which was my intention. I believe minimum focusing distance is like 3". Both are stunning lenses. The 60mm does allow me to use it as a medium telephoto for portraits also. If you want the working distance, the 100 will offer more room and you can always slap on a extension tube to zoom-in closer if you wish. I found i actually had to use the 180mm f/3.5 L Macro for nature stuff to really get shots at a comfortable distance. But that's later on down the road. If you are going to upgrade that quick, save the money and buy the body only kit and the lens separately. They jack you for a $160 for the 18-55. Re-sale on that lens is half that at best.

I think Im just going to go with a Body and a Lens. Maybe the 18-55mm or another one that is a little better...

I was thinking about getting the Refurb Nikon D50 for 399 that Adorma has then a good medium zoom normal lens, but that deal wont be around for much longer and I only have 100 bucks saved.

I'll probably get the Kit before Christmas then the 60mm Macro for Christmas, maybe with a Wide angle too.

Im still not sure. I just want a damn camera!

I know from experience that it's hard pill to swallow some of the advice here when you're sitting on pins and needles. Take a deep breath...relax...be at one with yourself.

Go to a camera shop and hold several bodies of similar value and functionality in your hands. What feels good, how easy can you manipulate the buttons, wheels and menus.

You're far better off to get a lesser body with better glass. Advances in technology will obsolete the body in short order, but good lenses will remain.

BTW, I like Nikon, but I am prone to subjectivity.

I know from experience that it's hard pill to swallow some of the advice here when you're sitting on pins and needles. Take a deep breath...relax...be at one with yourself.

Go to a camera shop and hold several bodies of similar value and functionality in your hands. What feels good, how easy can you manipulate the buttons, wheels and menus.

You're far better off to get a lesser body with better glass. Advances in technology will obsolete the body in short order, but good lenses will remain.

BTW, I like Nikon, but I am prone to subjectivity.

Can anyone who has tried both Nikon and Canon why they like them? I was thinking about getting a D50 body and a nice lens. But the D50 body is Refurb and I dont know if Adorma will have it for much longer. And I only have around 150 saved up.

I also try to watch the Canon v Nikon debate here because I was COMPLETELY sold on a D Rebel XT when I was shopping for a camera and then within the last month I hopped the fence and went with a Nikon D50 which I totally.

Anywho... I don't know that I've ever seen a convincing argument for either brand so IMO it's all about personal preference. Both are quality companies with quality products and I'm sure you'd be happy with either brand.

I also try to watch the Canon v Nikon debate here because I was COMPLETELY sold on a D Rebel XT when I was shopping for a camera and then within the last month I hopped the fence and went with a Nikon D50 which I totally.

Anywho... I don't know that I've ever seen a convincing argument for either brand so IMO it's all about personal preference. Both are quality companies with quality products and I'm sure you'd be happy with either brand.

Im thinking about getting a D50 as well. Refurb on Adorama for around 399. And getting the Nikon 55mm - 200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Autofocus Zoom Lens - Refurbished by Nikon U.S.A. for the first lens. Could anyone tell me about the D50 and the lens in question?

Thanks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back