First RAW Edits. Lot of snow!

JoshC.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are my first shots in RAW. How do you guys like the editing? I'm really excited about the results. Most were taken today during New Yorks big snow storm.

edit: All PP was done in Lightroom.

5351087960_54183dd8c0_b.jpg

5350470379_ba3413ebea_b.jpg

5351083094_d6e38a43f2_b.jpg

4. I think this one is hilarious :lol:
5350469023_b51ff427d8_b.jpg

5. Just a tighter crop to emphasize the ridiculousness!
5351082368_fc4c67a902_b.jpg

6. This was literally my first RAW edit. I stupidly forgot to change the ISO before I went out and was shooting at 3200 :x
5350473203_26aa1aeac3_b.jpg

All C&C is appreciated!
Thanks!

Cool stuff! I'm looking forward to getting some snow pics too, I live in Saratoga Springs, I'm hoping there will be a little sun out tomorrow so it doesn't look all dreary.

Cool stuff! I'm looking forward to getting some snow pics too, I live in Saratoga Springs, I'm hoping there will be a little sun out tomorrow so it doesn't look all dreary.

Thank you!!!
Saratoga huh!? Completely unrelated, but next weekend (January 21, 22, 23) in Saratoga (at the Wiebel Ave Ice Arena) is the Short Track Speedskating Junior Trials. I'll be racing, but its an awesome sport to photograph! I would definitely check it out if you're around!

3 and 6 are fantastic, although 6 is a little crooked. Very good overall though, I'm jealous of everyone else's snow...

3 and 6 are fantastic, although 6 is a little crooked. Very good overall though, I'm jealous of everyone else's snow...

Wow! Thank you it means a bunch!
I see how you think 6 is crooked, but i'm pretty sure it's straight. The fence posts are in reality, crooked. Maybe that gives the image a crooked feeling?
Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

All appear underexposed to me, except 6. All except 6 have grey snow, and lost details on the underexposed dog.

before

after

Dang.. look at those ears! love #4, especially with the tighter crop crop :thumbup:

Absolutely freaking love number 6. Nice work! Looks like you all had a blast in the snow.

Blue

Yep, the first 5 are under exposed.

When a scene is predominately white, the cameras light meter, being calibrated to 18% gray, makes the white 18% gray resulting in underexposure.

For predominantly white scenes 2/3 to 2 stops need to be added to the exposure to render white, white rather than gray.

In Lightroom, use the Exposure slider in 'Clipping Mode'.

Thank you all for the feedback! I actually turned down the exposure in Lightroom (dont ask me why...). I guess I was just going for more "contrast" but obviously thats not the way to do it. Next time I wont do that. Thanks :)

Most reactions

Back