First real attempt at a Portrait - CC Welcome

Demers18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I decided that it was about time I really gave a true portrait a try with my speed light, new umbrella and stand.

I had the lighting setup a little above my head height and slightly off to the left (when looking at the subject) and has the flash set at 1/2.

Any CC would be more than welcome.

9657002223_72b79827c7_b.jpg
[/URL] 2013_09_02_SYB_Playingwithlight0132-Edit.jpg by lee demers, on Flickr[/IMG]

Looks pretty good to me!

For a little bit of CC...

First thing that jumps out at me is that it looks a little soft. His hair in the back along with his eyes are a little out of focus, and although you were shooting at f/4.5, the plane of focus is at his lips or even the tip of his nose. Maybe stopping down to f/5.6 or even f/8 would be good. Since you have a gray background, it doesn't matter how wide your aperature is, since you're not looking for bokeh anyways.

While his expression is good, a little posing may have helped. Maybe tilting him 10 deg. or so would have helped IMO.

Also to slim a neck, get the subject to push his head forward just a little. Even a half inch or so will help a ton.
Here's an example of what I mean:
http://flickr.com/gp/caseyrbrown/0ZURAg
Her head is pushed forward a little, and although she doesn't really have a double chin, it helps to slim it down

Lighting looks really good for a first time! Looks perfect, to me, for a one-light setup. Nice job!

Looks pretty good to me!

For a little bit of CC...

First thing that jumps out at me is that it looks a little soft. His hair in the back along with his eyes are a little out of focus, and although you were shooting at f/4.5, the plane of focus is at his lips or even the tip of his nose. Maybe stopping down to f/5.6 or even f/8 would be good. Since you have a gray background, it doesn't matter how wide your aperature is, since you're not looking for bokeh anyways.

While his expression is good, a little posing may have helped. Maybe tilting him 10 deg. or so would have helped IMO.

Also to slim a neck, get the subject to push his head forward just a little. Even a half inch or so will help a ton.
Here's an example of what I mean:
http://flickr.com/gp/caseyrbrown/0ZURAg
Her head is pushed forward a little, and although she doesn't really have a double chin, it helps to slim it down

Lighting looks really good for a first time! Looks perfect, to me, for a one-light setup. Nice job!

I'll have to try posing a little better next time. This was actually a self portrait and I honestly never know how to pose lol. I see what you mean in your link. I'll have to try that next time and with future portraits.
Essentially I was working on the lighting and trying to see what worked best.

Thanks for the CC much appreciated.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back