First real attempt of "Landscape" photography.

StevenJohnson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
stevenandrewjohnson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The photo is of a calm day in Long Branch, New Jersey. I decided to go out and take a bunch of pictures to get a real feel for photography and how the camera works. Many people said, the best way to improve is to just shoot, shoot and shoot some more. So, that's what I did for three hours. This is the first "real" photograph that I shot and edited and would like some feedback. Constructive criticism, no harsh. (photo is compressed for upload)
$Long Branch Beach.jpg

Nice shot, I like to two wood piles on the lower right that balance with the building in the upper left. The photo is strongly vignetted. You using lightroom? Easy to fix in that. JD.

Not TOO bad, I'm not a fan of your foreground at all though. It's just not interesting to me, and a bit too "busy".

That being said, I'm shocked that the water is so blue!

You can try a different time of day to photograph, perhaps shortly after sunrise or near sunset. This might help reduce the harsh lighting.

I like the shot.. not a fan of the vignetting. Also - it seems the sky is separated into 3 segements of blues... I'd try and smooth that out some.

I do like the shot though. Keep it up.

I like the shot.. not a fan of the vignetting. Also - it seems the sky is separated into 3 segements of blues... I'd try and smooth that out some.

I do like the shot though. Keep it up.

That's what I was looking at and couldn't understand why it was bugging me. I was going to suggest a pano type crop, something that would crop the top section of sky at the top of the cloud (white) line. Possibly bring the bottom up just a bit too, say about the watermark and then re-mark it. Just an opinion.

too much of piled up wood in the foreground is not a good idea; i think you should have used an elevated view point to minimise the foreground :D
what is there behind is really awesome :D

As mentioned before, the cluttered rocks makes your picture look too busy.

Most reactions

Back