first 'real' portrait session

Nice job for your first "paid job" you should be able to obtain a material that doesn't crease as much, maybe a light coloured velvet or similar. Don't be too concerned about the creases, as long as you can reduce them in Photoshop. Personally a plain flat background to me is boring. I "fiddled" a bit with your 1st image, cropping mainly. trust you didn't mind.

tp://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h171/pweird2002/jai1.jpg[/IMG]

www.philipweirphotography.com

Hope you don't mind, I took another go at them today.

jai1-1.jpg

This one probably looks too photoshopped for my taste. I simply used levels (as previously), cropped as a square as suggested and then dodged with 15% shadows the rest. I wasn't really able to find a good median between toning down the wrinkles and shadows and keeping it from looking as if he was floating.

jai3.jpg

Once again, levels, but this time barely at all, as I found the left side of the image became 'burnt' very quickly. Other than that it was just more dodging.

kane1.jpg

I love this portrait that you took. As usual, I changed levels (255-230) and dodged the background set at "highlights" and 11%. I do believe I missed a spot or two.

Hope you don't mind, but I had to try this one in black and white
(Gradient map, Channel mixers (68-22-12)
kane1bwcopy.jpg

Last image (promise) I decided to add some more punch to his eyes in the black and white version and using the burning tool at 15%/midtones and then 10%/shadows.
kane1bw2.jpg

AWWW! they lil guy is so preciouse! great portriats.

Thanks everyone... I'm really feeling good about this portrait stuff now!! but always more to learnxx ... THANKS for your lovely comments - certainly is a confidence booster!! Mum came for a viewing today... i put together a slideshow on proselect with some moving music and...... she cried! (yeah!!) Said she loved them and is sure her mum will want to buy some too. So far her order list is QUITE long - a little bit exciting for a first-timer like myself!!! I sent home a proof sheet with her as they are away for 2 weeks and will officially order on return! Yippee - also said she can't wait to show all her friends which has gotta be good for the 'word of mouth' thing! Thanks again - i am on a high thanks to all this praise xx

jemmy said:
Thanks everyone... I'm really feeling good about this portrait stuff now!! but always more to learnxx ... THANKS for your lovely comments - certainly is a confidence booster!! Mum came for a viewing today... i put together a slideshow on proselect with some moving music and...... she cried! (yeah!!) Said she loved them and is sure her mum will want to buy some too. So far her order list is QUITE long - a little bit exciting for a first-timer like myself!!! I sent home a proof sheet with her as they are away for 2 weeks and will officially order on return! Yippee - also said she can't wait to show all her friends which has gotta be good for the 'word of mouth' thing! Thanks again - i am on a high thanks to all this praise xx

Whoo hoo! Congratulations. Your work is paying off for you it looks like.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back