First real print on good paper from the Epson 7900. And my first mount to foamboard.

LightSpeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is actually my first real print on good quality photo paper.
The printer amazes me. The print came out stunning. Much better than the photo of it shows.
I wasn't going to spend all evening perfecting a snapshot. lol

This is also actually the first time I've ever mounted an image to foamboard.
I studied up on it a bit and learned a few tricks before having a go at it. Did it all by hand with , foamboard, acid free photo glue, a straight edge and a razor knife.
It came out as good or better than anything I've ever had someone else do. It came out with 0 wrinkles or bubbles that one might find from someone
who's ever worked, doesn't want to be there, and under paid.

I used the pallet that the printer came on as my work bench. I'm in the process of turning the pallet into a Fletcher machine, of sorts, specifically designed for dealing with
mounted prints and cutting perfectly square. The print is a 20x30. As it stands, I can do this and do it well.
I know I'm out gunned, but this is what I want to do. If you've ever seen the movie " The Postman", things are getting better.
I intend to be good at photography. All of it. From start to finish.

Take care folks.
LightSpeed

6669855865_035dd496b1_b.jpg

PS - LSU FOR THE WIN BABY!
I hope.

You're aware of the drawbacks to using foamboard?
Acid free foamboard.
I know some of it warps.
I have gator board.
I know there are some drawbacks to glue containing acid, or board containing acid.
But as you know, I'm open to anything you can teach.

You're aware of the drawbacks to using foamboard?

Well?
I've seen professional photography on boards for half my life.
What's the drawback?

Is it going to be framed, or just hung as is?

None of it stays acid free, but starting with acid free materials gives you a head start.

Foamboard has a paper front and back. That paper front and back of most so-called acid-free foamboard is the only part that is acid free. Over time the paper, and the foamboard, absorbs acid from the air.

Our atmosphere contains acids and many other contaminants. Newer homes are particularly bad as the materials in the home outgas a wide variety of stuff.

That's why archival methods were developed that allow replacement of all the parts that eventually deteriorate.

The foamboard will start to crumble at some point. When it starts to crumble depends on the environment where it is hung.

But your print is stuck to the foamboard, so when that starts to happen, plus the airborne contaminants attacking the front of the print, there is nothing you will be able to do to save the print.

Is it going to be framed, or just hung as is?

None of it stays acid free, but starting with acid free materials gives you a head start.

Foamboard has a paper front and back. That paper front and back of most so-called acid-free foamboard is the only part that is acid free. Over time the paper, and the foamboard, absorbs acid from the air.

Our atmosphere contains acids and many other contaminants. Newer homes are particularly bad as the materials in the home outgas a wide variety of stuff.

That's why archival methods were developed that allow replacement of all the parts that eventually deteriorate.

The foamboard will start to crumble at some point. When it starts to crumble depends on the environment where it is hung.

But your print is stuck to the foamboard, so when that starts to happen, plus the airborne contaminants attacking the front of the print, there is nothing you will be able to do to save the print.

This one is going to be framed. You're right about all of the above.
I could always matt and hinge it. I'm using real good stuff to do this.
It will last for a long time to come.

As always thank you Keith. You're a good guy to know here.

It all boils down to what we each consider "a long time."

To me "a long time" for a print is several hundreds of years. For others "a long time" for a print can be as short as a couple of decades.

It all boils down to what we each consider "a long time."

To me "a long time" for a print is several hundreds of years. For others "a long time" for a print can be as short as a couple of decades.

I just started man.
Keith it's my first print...........and my first mount. Of a print, that is.
I mean , did I do a good job on at least that?
I'm telling you, for what most people order, or go to the local camera store and pay someone about 35 bucks to do, for something that will last 100 years or more.........., " How did I do?
Here's the thing Keith ( and you know I brotherly love you) None of us are gonna live for several hundred years. Man I'm not a pro Photographer. Come on dude, you've seen some of my ......stuff......or whatnot.
I don't even know what to call them............but they are far from professional. I'm not going to be inducted into the Smithsonian anytime soon. Neither is Gipson. Or NapTime. I just threw him in there for good measure.

Anyway........lol..............that's all beside the point.
How did I do for my first time?
Come on man............gimme some love

Man I'm not a pro Photographer. Come on dude, you've seen some of my ......stuff......or whatnot.
I don't even know what to call them............but they are far from professional. I'm not going to be inducted into the Smithsonian anytime soon. Neither is Gipson. Or NapTime. I just threw him in there for good measure.

Heck.. they won't even let me into the Smithsonian... must be my looks or something! :(

Can't tell much from the photo, LS.. but if you be happy, then that is what matters! :)

Heck.. they won't even let me into the Smithsonian... must be my looks or something! :(

Can't tell much from the photo, LS.. but if you be happy, then that is what matters! :)

Ok send me the the digital negative and I'll show you up close and in person.
No shyt.
Gimme a print and tell me how you want it.

No shyt.

I appreciate that, Lightspeed.. and one of these days I will take you up on it! :)

Not just yet, though... maybe after my D4 gets here! ;)

I gotta be honest... I expected worse. Not just worse... a lot worse. From what I can see of the print... it actually looks pretty awesome.

No shyt.

I appreciate that, Lightspeed.. and one of these days I will take you up on it! :)

Nice... The D4. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

No shyt.

Nice... The D4. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

It will probably be a while before I can do justice to the camera.. and produce both coherent thoughts and photos at the same time! But I will do my best! :)

Most reactions

Back