First roll of slide film and Zeiss Jena bug (help with some questions)

DocFrankenstein

Clinically Insane?
Reaction score
I have shot my first roll of slide! :heart:

If you don't feel like reading first imressions, the questions are at the bottom.

DigiRebel was used as the lightmeter, and then the "actual" shot was taken. It looked funny.

I am very impressed with the pictures. After running through them on my friend's projector, I've noticed 2 things:

1) the bokeh is much better on my soviet helios 58/2 than on the Canon's 50/1.8 It's "creamy" for some reason... and is much more pleasureable to look at.

2) The shutter on zenit doesn't expose the end of the frame.:er: Looks like the first curtain just stops a few millimeters short, thus not exposing the slides.

Which means that I'll be getting an Praktica... and I also want the lenses for the dreamy bokeh... Jena... Tessar... Pancolar... Sonnar... Pancolar... Flektogon... Sexy names...

From what I've seen on ebay, in good condition the lenses go for less than 200$... some less than a 100...

What should I look out for?

I do not need any long telephotos for film... I think:

This is my ideal wishlist:
Practica camera
50/2.8 Jena Tessar
50/1.4 Jena Pancolar
35mm
20mm
85mm
MAYBE a 135 mm sonnar...

What should I look at? I've seen some aluminum 40 year old white lenses on ebay. Are they still good, or would you prefer the black, recent ones?

How much would the above list cost at "average" prices?

...ok, stupid question, I assume you want to use your Helios and so on with your new Praktica, so it MUST be M42 :D
I'd go for a Praktica LTL3, MTL5 and similar. But as normal lens I recommend you the normal Pentacon 50mm 1.8 lens, I think that it's better than the 50mm Tessar. Oh, and get a Flektogon, really amazing lens.

Kewl, I'll look into that.

I want it to be in the M42 screwmount, this way I'll be able to use them on the Drebel too.

Most reactions

Back