First run with strobes, let me know what you think!

Carny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I ended up getting 4 strobes this week. This is my first attempt at using them. I only used two for these, one mettle 600w with softbox in front camera right, and a mettle 400w with a snoot in the back camera left. Oh, and a speedlight mounted on the cam to trigger these, but I just pointed it away from the subject.

IMG_6001 by Carny Clickr, on Flickr

IMG_6001 - Copy by Carny Clickr, on Flickr

IMG_5991 by Carny Clickr, on Flickr

IMG_6012 by Carny Clickr, on Flickr

I did minimal adjustments to these, all in DPP. The pineapple is sooc. Interested to know what you think and how I could improve.

Bump, I'd really like some feedback on the lighting and how I could improve.

If you don't shoot these down I'm going to charge someone for them!

I would say the baby photo needed more light camera left. The deep shadows are to dramatic for a baby photo. Yhe dog and the pineapple need more light low on them.

Are you sure your lights are rated 600 w and 400 w? Strobes are usually rated in ws (watt seconds).

Oh, and I moved your thread out of the discussion forum where you started it, to a C&C gallery since you're wanting C&C.

The hard lighting on the baby makes him look like he is in his 30's lol...........needs fill light on the left side. I wouldn't go more than 2:1 on a baby to keep the softness.

#1 I agree with greybeard about the lighting. I'd be temted to clone out the teardrop on his cheek.
#2 Doesn't work for me.
#3 Needs light in back for more definition.
#4 Needs more fruit. It is, after all, just a fruit, not a work of art in and of itself.

agree with the lighting for the baby. but i love his expression. adorable!

I would say the baby photo needed more light camera left. The deep shadows are to dramatic for a baby photo. Yhe dog and the pineapple need more light low on them.

Are you sure your lights are rated 600 w and 400 w? Strobes are usually rated in ws (watt seconds).

Oh, and I moved your thread out of the discussion forum where you started it, to a C&C gallery since you're wanting C&C.

The lights are 600 ws and 400 ws.

I never know which forum to pick. Even though it is in the equipment section I chose lighting because there are other pic threads in there, and I was wanting feedback on my lighting and not necessarily the rest. I hate to suggest yet another forum, but one specifically for strobist may be a good idea.

#1 I agree with greybeard about the lighting. I'd be temted to clone out the teardrop on his cheek.
#2 Doesn't work for me.
#3 Needs light in back for more definition.
#4 Needs more fruit. It is, after all, just a fruit, not a work of art in and of itself.

That "teardrop" is actually a dirty lens or sensor, but you are right it is distracting.

#3 I see what you are saying. If you look on her right shoulder you can see a highlight from the snooted grid (or is it gridded snoot?), I'll try it with more diffusion next time.

#4 It was late at night and I was looking for anything in the house halfway interesting to practice with the new lights. The funny thing is that this is the only shot on my flickr that anyone has added to their favorites, lol.

Most reactions

Back