First Self Developed Roll

randerson07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ryanandamy.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Total disaster from camera failure to over developing. I shot a roll of TriX at a July 4th party where I was partaking in the festivities, I can really tell because about 7 or 8 of the shots on the roll were of beer bottles. The shutter on the petri was not cooperating, and I seemed to not be able to get consistent with my meter. I used an indicator stop and it didnt indicate anything, so I kind of freaked out and poured in some more developer for 2min, and stopped again. And again no indication of anything. I figured oh well lets fix and see what happens.

Some of the shots came out ok although the shutter was being retarded and messed up anything that the over developing didnt.

1. Exposure looks ok but the shutter didnt work quite right. Im sure if I didnt do that extra developing this would be too light.
2652495836_0163e9f635.jpg

2. This one is so dark on the top and bottom that my scanner only picked up the center portion of the neg.
2652495848_64daa0b1a3.jpg

3. I got a few like this, suppose I over exposed? in camera.
2652495840_658f0061dc.jpg

I was using arista 76 powder, I will not buy powder again what a hassle that is.

Im glad I didnt completely fail, but Ive got some work to do.

I'll point out that indicator stop-bath turns different color when the stop-bath is exhausted. It will take several rolls for that. I dump mine after around 7 rolls, but im not sure how long it can actualy be used.
So its not supposed to show anything after one roll.

The first photo is kind of interesting.

The shutter on the petri was not cooperating, and I seemed to not be able to get consistent with my meter.

I love old SLRs but my experience with the Petri line tells me you are lucky
that thing works at all. It's unusual to find one that will even fire these days.

There are plenty of inexpensive, old SLRs that will work much more reliably.
I would find a camera with a reliable shutter.

I used an indicator stop and it didnt indicate anything, so I kind of freaked out and poured in some more developer for 2min, and stopped again. And again no indication of anything. I figured oh well lets fix and see what happens.
Indicator stop bath won't change color until it is exhausted. That means
after re-use. Nothing will happen on it's first use with one roll of film.

the magenta color , is this from the scan, or do the negatives look th is way. if so, your fixer is not working, re-fix.

and you added more developer after you thought the stop was working? that does nothing as the stop bath has already done it's job. Also, how did you detemine the stop didn't work?
there is nothing you can see, unless your development by inspection under green light and even then it would be difficult to determine waht was going on especially since this seems to be your first roll your developing.

i would second the above recommendation about using a camera that is more stable as you don't want to cross your fingers and pray to the photo gods that things turn out.

LOL I even read somewhere that stop takes a while before it changed colors, whoops.

The petri has been working pretty well for me, but everytime i put TrX in it, it does what you see above. I shot two rolls of color through it before this and had no issues. I enherited it along with another petri thats broken, a polaroaid onestep, an airequipt slide projector and a boat load of slides from around the world, from my grandmother's brother, Ltc Gene Hambleton. The thing is spotless, like it had never been used.

That last shot there, was so dark on the neg that I didnt even know there was an image there, I didnt think the scanner would pick it up.

Ill shot a roll through my elan today and give it a go again tonight.

Thanks guys.

Next up, finding an enlarger for free or close to it.

if the last image was so dense your were not even sure there was anything there, then it has been seriously over exposed, or over developed, or both.

it is strange that the color film came out fine, while the trix was an issue. I really don't think it has anything to do with color vs black and white rather a shutter that is not constant. have it checked.

Ill probably retire the petri and put it on a shelf next to its older brother.

Well I couldnt wait, I went and finished a roll and developed it this morning. Its currently drying but it looks really good.

Ill scan them when I get home tonight.

So im scanning the roll of Arista II I shot and developed this morning, and im having trouble, the negs want to curl on me mostly width wise but the last strip from the roll wants to curl length wise to.

Is there a way to fight that other than sticking them under something heavy?

Will putting them under some books damage them?

Here are a few from this morning
http://www.flickr.com/photos/randerson07/sets/72157606083277675/

Last edited:
Have heart. Stick in there. Developing is the bomb. My first roll was loaded improperly and half the roll didn't get chem on it. Came out blue and pink. But when I saw this my first thought was 'SO WHAT! I just developed my own film!' Two things I do that you might consider. It's simpler, for me, anywho.
I always use liquid chems. Of course not until I mix up some sodium sulfite to rinse my Polaroid P/N 55 negs. But that is another story.
And I one shot my chemistry if I am not doing multiple rolls. Much simpler than reusing while trying to keep things moving.
And one other thing. If it's the camera you gotta expect these results to some extent. I know, no duh, Batman. Just be sure of your exposure and be sound in your process and it'll happen. Congratulations.

Yep for sure after I sell off my spare xbox 360 to a coworker, im off to the local camera shop to pick up some liquid chems, a couple more storage bottles, something to store my negs in, and maybe some more film. I have a feeling the 15 rolls i ordered from Freestyle with the chems wont last long.

And im on the hunt for a rangefinder or manual SLR that works better than the one I have now. This weekend is garage sale weekend in my neighborhood hopefully ill score something cool.

Hey I noticed this on flickr.
"Dev in Arista 76 1+1 for 11.5min "

Where did you get 11.5 from?

I do D76 (persumably the same) 1:1 for 9 min. This maybe part of your blow out problem.

Also are you controling the temp?

the roll I screwed up(TriX) I did in Stock solution for 9 min, then being an idiot as pointed out above did another 3 min, so that plus my camera being retarded botched the first roll.

the second roll, which is where you got the 11.5 from, I got that time from the inside of the box, and I used 1+1. I added the extra .5 because I wanted a little contrast and grain. Im not sure if thats the correct way to do it, but it seems to have worked.

I just downloaded the data sheet for ariista ii from freestyle and it says 14min in 1+1. Im going to stick with whatever it says inside the box.

Most reactions

Back