First Serious Shoot with model

JonnyVPA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Scranton, PA is my Hometown but im constantly movi
Can you guys gimme some critique on these..... i practiced with a girl a few times but this girl payed me and she liked em.... im just afraid that she didnt get her moneys-worth..... but im too much of a perfectionist....

I shot these on a Minolta 7xi... mostly with a 28-80 Minolta f3.5? lens(its been a while since i owned that camera) on Fuji 400 film... I didnt think the weather was gonna be that sunny or i wouldve gone down to 100 or 200

thanks

spottedbw.jpg

surreal.jpg

throughthebars.jpg

DeathRow.jpg

BoraOra.jpg

boredom.jpg

Distraught.jpg

I don't think they are bad. I'm curious what she was looking for with these? The thing that jumps at me is maybe I would have liked to see some closer up shots. For me I believe #1 and #7 are the best.

wow...#1 is relly nice... dont be so harsh on yourself, they all look very nice...

Definately #1 is the fave of mine, nearly all are a bit over exposed, I like the pose in #6 but the grass is way blown out, you might try to convert it to monochrome and play with the levels for a darker feel to it

I'd say overall this are pretty good. I agree on the overexposure factor. Most def #1 is my favorite also.

I think you have some great compositions here. Just a couple of suggestions from me. Be careful with how you pose her. I don't think the pose is very flattering to her body in either #2 or #7. But, the idea for both of them is good. I think #6 might look cool if you cropped it to just above where the skin of her leg is showing.

DOF is not really what you need to worry about here when it comes to blowing out the highlights. Since black is a dominant color in these photographs I would spot meter a black area in the same light as your subject, most likely her dress, and then adjust your exposure so that you are under exposing by - 2 stops (for print film multiply by two). This will render your blacks black and all of your other tones will fall into place. I would also bracket your exposures since the light is always changing.

I'm a super beginner, but I think that the biggest problem was the 400 ISO and the harsh light. Most pics have too harsh a contrast with overexposed portions (skin and sky) and no details. I think a 50 film and a different time of the day would have made a big difference. However, I love #1!

M.

The first shoot is a cracker. No. 6 would have been better without the wings thou. Still goof shots

for some reason number 5 really does it for me. I think with the stone or whatever she is standing on being blown out it almost gives her a floating feeling, its kinda eerie.

Do you have the digital original for number one? instead of a solid black and white I think a desaturated look (very faint colors) would work great for this shot, but maybe I am way off. just a thought!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back