First Shoot - Bodybuilder

tyranniux42

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Evening all.

I am in the final throes of editing my shots from yesterdays shoot for my cousin, Stu Smith.

He recently competed in the Nabba Mr Universe 2015 and placed 2nd in Class 4 (placing 1st Brit) and a few weeks before that placed 1st in Mr England. As you can see his physique is awesome.

I chose to use a twin studio light setup, one with no modifier to give some hard light and strong shadows to hopefully show off his hard work. Using the D810 at ISO64 and a variety of lenses I am very happy with the results technically and also with regards to composition.

I would welcome comment on this slightly out of the ordinary portrait shoot. I have just attached the one shot for now, On of my favourites so far which I feel looks best converted to B&W.

Kind regards

22844788422_f45c57f507_b.jpg

Very nice!
I may have used a shallower DOF, but that's just me. :)
What lens and setting did you take this shot with?

Dude's got muscles in his feet... Real nice photo, well done.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's not one of the normal "posing" shots, but you've got good balance on the lights. I don't like the tee-shirt there. I really like the cut-off on the left light.

Very nice!
I may have used a shallower DOF, but that's just me. :)
What lens and setting did you take this shot with?

Thanks, this one was with my 35mm 1.8 at F8, 1/250s and ISO64. Ill post some of the others taken with my other lenses when I have finished sharpening

It's not one of the normal "posing" shots, but you've got good balance on the lights. I don't like the tee-shirt there. I really like the cut-off on the left light.

Thanks for the comments, we put the T-shirt there to cover some unsightly wear on the seat padding, plus it gave a bit of a nod to the gym itself. Not a normal pose you're right, most of the rest of the shots were in the more standard type poses, maybe this is why this one stands out to me.

kind regards

While the image is a strong image on its own, I think there are some areas where it could be improved. First off, the basics: A tidy set almost always makes for a better image, so: Clean up the cords, the dirty floor, etc, and, as mentioned, the t-shirt isn't attractive. If there was damage to the bench, cover it with some gaf tape and touch up in post.

The lighting isn't bad, but I think that your key light is just a bit strong; the highlights on his face seem verging on blown. Your fill light seems to be coming in from about 45 degrees on the right; typically with this sort of shot I would suggest lighting equally from both sides in order to maximize the shadows & definition of his physique.

As well, consider the actual pose; we really only see one weight. The one in his right hand is almost totally obscured.

I used to be pretty ripped like that... so long ago it seems. I had a bunch of good friends while in the Marine's and we were workout monsters. I never got real big like this guy because I am tall with a super long arm reach but I had a six pack and chiseled chin. I really let myself go when earning a high income became priority. This photo has got me thinking about my health and balancing my priorities. Thank you for posting this tyranniux 42, you have added some years to my life.

While the image is a strong image on its own, I think there are some areas where it could be improved. First off, the basics: A tidy set almost always makes for a better image, so: Clean up the cords, the dirty floor, etc, and, as mentioned, the t-shirt isn't attractive. If there was damage to the bench, cover it with some gaf tape and touch up in post.

The lighting isn't bad, but I think that your key light is just a bit strong; the highlights on his face seem verging on blown. Your fill light seems to be coming in from about 45 degrees on the right; typically with this sort of shot I would suggest lighting equally from both sides in order to maximize the shadows & definition of his physique.

As well, consider the actual pose; we really only see one weight. The one in his right hand is almost totally obscured.

Thanks for the comments, agree with all you have said, its the first time ive ever played with studio lights (borrowed from a friend the day before the shoot) and I don't have a light meter so it was a bit of guess work and a few test shots so in the end I have had to reduce highlights etc to pull the image into better balance. Overall Im happy with the images but would do a few things differently next time around.

Kind regards

I'm a newbie when it comes to photography, but one thing I always seem to notice that people react to are lines that pierce through the model's head. In this case, that vertical metal that directly goes through the center of the guy's head. Do you think that is bothersome?

Most reactions

Back