First Shoot CC

412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know it would have been so helpful to have another flash to use OC and also a reflector for the shadows the sun casted

ZMD_0374 by ZDiBeradin, on Flickr

Local friend of mine wants to pursue modeling and I figured it would help me get a start into the long battle and struggle I will face while shooting models..

Exif:
[h=2]Exif data[/h]
Nikon D7000
0.004 sec (1/250)
f/4.5
50 mm
0 EV
On, Return detected

Time of day around noon.... ( I know... only time she was available, work with what ya can get right?)

Used a Nikon SB-700 On camera

yoru flash is HARSH! how did you shoot it? She should have have been farther from the background.. you have bad shadows.

My guess is on camera flash

My SB-700 was on the camera. Unfortunately I haven't invested in light stands, or wireless triggers.. I will shortly.

here are some more photos I took of her

ZMD_0329 by ZDiBeradin, on Flickr

ZMD_0367 by ZDiBeradin, on Flickr

ZMD_0352 by ZDiBeradin, on Flickr

Last edited:
412 Burgh said:
My SB-700 was on the camera. Unfortunately I haven't invested in light stands, or wireless triggers.. I will shortly.

Why not use your d7000 in commander mode ?

That is an option.. although I don't like using it in bright daylight.. can be flaky! Hence my PW's! :)

412 Burgh said:
Don't have light stands lol.

Get one. They are pretty inexpensive. The better the stand, the more expensive they are but you can find some for cheap. They might not break down as small but they will get the job done.

any recommendation? I'm assuming a pack of two would be nice. I'll have to hunt for 2 light stands, and 2 modifiers.

A note on the posing: try to avoid locked elbows. Google "Benji's 40 rules of portraiture" to give you a sense of traditional posing. Then YouTube posing for models.

Moved to the People Photography Gallery per new guidelines for the Beginner's Forum.

Please, read the new Beginners Forum description when you get a chance. It is no longer a C&C forum section.

2 light stands, 2 umbrellas brackets, 2 convertible umbrellas - Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Even without light stands, you can use the little "base" that comes with the sb700 and stand it on the ground, or anything nearby. Even hand held is an option.

As others mentioned you don't need a remote- you go into your settings and turn the camera into the commander and the flash into the slave and the camera triggers the flash.

Do you have any diffusers for your flash? I would dial it down a lot and soften it up. I wouldn't use this shot to promote her.

I don't know where to start, obviously people have already mentioned the harsh lighting. Posing is a little rough but not TOO bad. If you look at #3, her shirt is dirty and it draws my attention to her boob (then my eyes go to the pockets, YIKES). Keep practicing.

OKAY............

She needs serious help with poses here, clothing choices and hair.

Now on to your problems.........

Number one is a bad angle. It shows off nothing of her body which is the intent since this would be a modeling portfolio.

White balance is off and her shirt keeps changing colors. One its red then orange then a lighter shade of orange.

One saving grace is that the second shot of her on the steps did show a bit of promise. Its a half way decent pose but you lose her eye.

Most reactions

Back