First shoot! Processing Tips Needed

Thanks for your input guys. Thanks Markc, I was really hoping you'd get involved :)

All good tips for next time, unfortunatly I don't have the time to reshoot this :meh: I am aware of the wide angle effect on portraits and was trying to avoid it but obviously I wasn't as careful as I thouht I was :er: I really enjoyed taking these and I guess it would be wise to invest in some lights, 'cos I wanna do more! And also a DSLR would help so I can get a len that will open wider than f4 :er:

Thanks loads. You've be very helpful. I'm processing the chosen ones now (don't seem to be too many googly-balloon headed ones chosen!) Will post them once they are done.

Cheers,

mohain

Cool. You don't need lights if you don't want the expense. All of my shots are available light (no extra artificial light, no flash), some with a reflector or two, but most without. Lights are handy for creating a particular lighting situation that may not be readily available otherwise, but I've found that a window and a reflector often do the trick. Either way, a photographer needs to learn to see the light before making effective use of it. It just takes practice. I actually think that using lights can be harder, since you have to create the light environment from scratch. Plus it's much easier to get good light from a window than a cheap light kit.

A lot depends on the way you shoot, too. If you are after very specific shots, then a good set of lights and accessories (light box, snoot, etc) will allow you to create that image in a studio. If you work more by putting your subject in an environment and seeing what happens, available light can work really well. You just have to be more picky about the invoronment. Many pros are shooting a specific contract and under time pressure, so they go for the former.

But yeah, a wider aperture than f4 would help.

Thanks loads for the pointers Markc :) (<-- we need a triple eyed smilie too!)

Well here are the final 5. The 3rd one I'm not sure about, the flash is too harsh and it's a bit of a funny angle but she and all her family really like it. The wide angle on the last one does make her nose look a little big, and she didn't request it, but I like it so wanted to do it anyway :) I've learnt a hell of a lot this week in the shoot and the post processing. People photography is a whole new ball game!! But, most importantly, I've really enjoyed it. I'm happy with the final results although I can now see some glaring errors (hopefully to avoid next time).

Thanks loads to everyone who's helped. Here they are below.

em_02_1.jpg

em04_1.jpg

em03_1.jpg

em_01_1.jpg

em_05_1.jpg

Thanks again,

Mohain

i don't get over into this gallery enough, i really enjoyed reading through this thread. great work mohain... 2 and 4 from your final 5 are outstanding... followed by 1, 3, and 5 which i like, just needs a little more light on the top of her head... great work though, i'm sure she is thrilled with these... :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back