First Shoot

digital_ems_techie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.charlesphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all. I set up my first semi organized shoot the other day. Here is the shot that I really like. I would like to hear what everyone else has to say.

573d.jpg

She is very, very pretty.
The lighting is interesting, though a bit on the dark side (on my monitor, and that doesn't quite count for darkness).
But I'd have preferred to see her chin, too.
I'm not all in favour of "portrait style" (upright photos) for portraits, I sometimes also like them in "landscape style" (horizontal photo), but this crops her face in a bit too much.

Hi,
Thank you, she is definitely a beautiful woman! It is hard (well for me at least) to find a combination of pretty and willing to sit for hours on end while I snap photos.
I did notice the darkness in the picture myself. I was shooting against a very dark colored background. I even notice an almost bluish overtone to the whole photo. I was/am still playing with different flashes and backlighting to get the desired levels I want, but haven't come close to mastering it yet.
I haven't quite figured out what I like yet, I though this was different but the more I look at it I definitely agree that her chin should have been part of the shot. Next time I set up to take a shoot I will give the landscape style a try. I'm always willing to try something new.
Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate your suggestions.

I totally agree LaFoto, It's a bit too dark for my taste, at least her face and I think it's cropped a bit close as well. I'm not sure but maybe a light behind her or something to help pull the face away from the background would be niec as well. Maybe that's totally wrong I'm not sure what I'm feeling.

I agree, the crop seems to be too tight. The lighting is nice & soft, looks like window lighting. I would like to see some of the light reflected back onto the dark side of her face though. Other than that, I love this shot. She looks very natural and engaging. Nicely done.

What the others said. The cropping of the chin and the top of her head was not a good idea.

Thanks again for all of your comments. Big Mike you are right it is window lighting. The light was behind me and to the side (sliding glass door). I don't have a reflector (yet, I'm working on that) and I tried playing with the flash but it took away that almost bluish tinge. Thank you, she has a talent to be very relaxed in front of a camera. She is a saint for putting up with me for so long!

Thanks again everyone, I will trying playing with different crops (especially farther away) next time I do a shoot.

railman44 said:
What the others said. The cropping of the chin and the top of her head was not a good idea.

ditto.

Also I would try it maybe as a B&W after you get the rest of her head in there. She has perfect eyes for a good high contrast shot with lots DOF fall off in the background. Also a cheap home reflecter is some Aliminum foil on card board or a bright white poster board. There not the best result but there cheap and almost always on hand.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back