first shots w/ d40 (or any dslr for that matter)

vmorriss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these shots on my first excursion with my new D40. Honest opinions and critiques would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2490425609_ac3e928a27.jpg

2490427261_86daacbde0.jpg

2490428661_4480589036.jpg

no one? Should I post larger sized pics or something?

Are you proud of them, I was proud of mine when I first got my canon, It was dark out so I could only take pictures of boring stuff inside, looks like you had a nice environment to go test your camera :)

The third one looks to have lovely colours, It would be better if the flowers took more of the screen, but I think it has nice perspective with the rolling hills and blue sky

I dont like the second one-sorry, not my cup of tea

The first one is nice but the background (on my monitor) is too dark , and it makes you wonder what is there, Im not sure if iI should be looking at the flower or the metal thingamybob

The metal thing is actually part of the back of this thing:
2491237254_b20495076a.jpg

I guess that I could visually extend the frame in my head (when looking at the picture) but i forgot that any other viewer does not have all that information. I did try to take some from further away, but I couldn't really make the dandelion stand out against the huge metal wheel.

Thanks for the comment.

I think there great
Much better than my first!
love the second one

Congratulations on the new camera, also! These are really good shots for your first time out with a new, and different camera. As pointed out before there are some easy to fix compositional problems, but VERY GOOD considering it was your first day.

I agree with the first one. I looked at the belt, and then I looked over and thought, "Oh, I'm supposed to be looking at the dandelion."

I like the second and third ones. The subjects aren't really all that unique or intriguing (who cares about a fence post), but you made good, interesting photos out of them despite this (I care about a fence post now). That's always the sign of a good photographer, a person who can make you look at something with different perspective. You seem to have that.

BTW, I know its difficult as an amateur to convey the feelings you have of a situation into the photograph of it, but I totally agree with you about the contrast of the huge metal track and the frail dandelion. If only there was some way to get that across, but I'm sure you'll get it sooner or later. If not here, then somewhere.

In addition to what other folks said...

2nd shot seems a bit dark. I've always thought it was neat how trees wrap around wires and such, but for some reason I feel like the only reason I know that this is what this picture is of, is just because I've seen it myself. Brightening could fix that, but I wonder if it needed to be less tight on the crop as well... unsure.

Three seemed too dark as well... almost muted. Probably underexposed.

I liked the picture of the tractor. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back